002 ~ Wheel of Power

Genre: Comedy, Friendship, Angst 

Word Count: 3,366 

Pairing: ?? 

World: Other, Acceleracers 

Believe it or not, it took us a full day to reach Highway 35, and by the time we did, the sun was beginning to set. The sky was alive was dark red and orange, swirling together like an angry blaze. Sandstone covered the ground we drove on, kicking up dust something horrible. I had to roll up the window pretty quickly, all while ignoring the 'I told you so' look from Taro who had warned me about the window just an hour prior.

I turned up the AC because of how hot it was outside. The middle of summer in the desert at sundown. Can you imagine my struggle?

"Hey, Taro! Wylde's here!" Monkey's voice came over the radio, followed by loud coughs as said Maniac sped past us. Unfortunately, Monkey didn't have the Taro warning system like I did and his window was down. "Hey! This isn't a race!"

"It's always a race." Came Mark's reply, making me resist the urge to slam my head against the dashboard. He really was impossible. He increased his speed, slamming his car into the female from Teku before hitting his brother's car from behind. He quickly claimed the lead even though, as Monkey stated, it was not a race.

About ten minutes later, a building came into view. It was square, probably about three stories tall, and looked like it could fall apart with just a gust of wind. The walls barely covered the metal piping that held the building together.

A dark-skinned man with dreads stepped out of the shadows like some super villain, but when he spoke, his voice was something you'd expect from a hero. The man and Vert exchanged pleasantries.

"Vert. It's been a long time." The man had some type of accent, but I couldn't place it for the life of me.

"Good to see you again."

Monkey stepped forward. "Is that Tezla?"

I rested my forehead against Taro's shoulder in place of a facepalm. I had been told the exact same stories that Monkey had and I knew that this man, whoever he may be, was definitely NOT Tezla.

"My name is Kadeem." The man said with an air of pride. A few more notches North and it'll border arrogance. "Who are you?"

"He's just a freaky little Metal Maniac, Kadeem." Kurt's comment made both Taro and myself tense up and push away from the car.

I growled in annoyance. "Better a Maniac than a pansy Teku!"

"Yeah!" Mark agreed, slinging his tattooed arm over my shoulder. "Metal Maniacs are the best! Like me, Taro and Jae, huh?"

"Real drivers are Teku!" Kurt argued back.

"Let's test that then, aye?" I cracked my knuckles as I stepped forward, daring him to move. The Metal Maniacs are multi-skilled, you see. Not only are we badass at driving, we're damn skilled at beating the snot out of people.

Kadeem's laugh broke through the tension. "Yes, I see how it is."

He and Vert started to speak to one another, but I was too angry to care as Kurt an I stared each other down. He may be older than me, but I know I can beat him in a fight, and man did I want to beat his ass. I inched forward, but Taro grabbed the back of my shirt, pulling me back to our side and giving me a look that clearly stated 'knock it off'. I scoffed in annoyance, shooting the Teku one last glare before looking away. The day will come when I can beat that prick's ass, but today is clearly not that day.