005 ~ Maniacs Don't Cry

Genre: Angst 

Word Count: 1,899 

Pairing: ?? 

World: Other, Acceleracers 

THUMP!

I jolted awake, my glassy eyes squinting in the darkness. I glanced at the clock, wondering if it was time to get up but the bright red digits were flashing, waiting to be set. I could've sworn it was set before I fell asleep.

I rubbed my eyes and listened for the sound of the realm alarm, but I was greeted only with complete silence. I shrugged it off, falling back onto the bed and stifling a yawn.

You know that strange sensation of being awake yet being asleep at the same time? It's kind of like you're teetering between the two. That's where I was at, about to completely cross over when my brain picked up a faint whisper. It wasn't enough to pull me back, but it was certainly enough to prevent me from advancing.

Another whisper, this time more clear.

My name. It was my name.

I groaned tiredly, rolling over so that my back was facing the source of the sound. I figured it was just Mark, so I muttered for him to get lost.

A few moments of silence and then another whisper. It was different this time, though. It sounded angry, demanding even. I could feel the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up as goosebumps erupted across my skin. I was completely yanked from sleep.

My body was now alert and ready. For what, I couldn't be sure.

I slowly sat back up, turning towards the door. I could feel my blood run cold like ice in my veins. My heart hammered against my rib cage as if it were trying to escape. I honestly didn't blame it. I tried to speak, but it was as if something was lodged in my throat.

"Hello, Jae. Surprised to see me?"

Surprised was the last thing I was feeling right now. "Kadeem...? Is that... is that really you?"

"You should know. You did kill me, after all."

I swallowed hard, shifting so that my back was against the wall. "No... I... I didn't have anything to do with that..."

His eyebrow rose as he approached my bed. "Perhaps you're right. You didn't actually pull the trigger, but you certainly did nothing to help."

"There was nothing – "

"Don't!" He growled in anger. "You saw me go over the edge. You could have said something. So tell me, Jae – " he leaned down, face inches from my own. " – why didn't you?"

My heart clenched tight inside my chest and I snapped my eyes shut tight, clutching the dragon pendant in my hand. It took so much effort for me to answer, and when I finally managed to speak, it was nothing but a whisper. "I'm so sorry, Kadeem."

"Let me tell you why." He stood straight, a wicked grin spreading across his face. "You're a coward. You're weak. You knew you couldn't save me and you were too afraid to try, too afraid to show your precious Taro how weak you really are. Just like the swamp realm."

As soon as the words left his mouth, vines appeared out of thin air. They wrapped around my wrists and ankles, dragging me down flat against the mattress. I couldn't move no matter how hard I struggled against my binds.

Kadeem threw his head back in laughter. "You're too weak to break free! This is why your family threw you away. Why all of your friends threw you away. Did you honestly think things would change here? Soon, the Metal Maniacs will come to realize how weak and pathetic you really are and they will abandon you just as everyone else has."