Chapter nineteen:

After about a week of staying in Heather's family's little farmhouse, one thing led to another and Alex found himself being hired by Heather's family to work on the farm. Years passed. He was pretty much a part of the family now.

He had no idea that he would actually become a member of the family, but eventually, it became clear that Heather and Alex had feelings for each other. Of course, being who they were, the rest of the family played a very heavy match-making role. And they married.

Alex had help building a house on a rather forgotten corner of the property, and he moved in with his new wife.

The sun had not yet risen and Alex was still in bed when there was a loud knock on the door. There was a hazy, grey light filling the room, hinting at the approaching dawn. It couldn't be any later than five in the morning.

Alex stumbled as he got dressed in the dim light. He hoped that he hadn't woken Heather up.

He walked through the house. When he had turned the porch light on, he opened the door. But instead of a neighbor asking for a favor like he had expected, there were two men standing on his front porch. They were dressed in black suits that couldn't be worse suited to where they were. They didn't match the dusty grass at their feet or the rutted dirt roads behind them.

No one said anything and the silence stretched.

Just as Alex was about to speak, however, the taller of the two spoke up: "Are you Alex Price?" he asked in a low voice.

"Yes," Alex said simply, not bothering to speak quietly. If they wanted to have such a secret conversation, then they shouldn't have woken him up at the crack of dawn like they had.

"I am director Eric Lance. I founded The Organization if you've ever heard of it. We are here to ask if you would like a job." He said. He was a middle-aged man, to Alex's best estimate. His dark brown hair was turning silver. His grey eyes glinted with something unspoken. Alex decided that he didn't like this man.

The other man reached into his pocket, drawing his eyes to the sudden movement. Then his arm moved like a flash towards Alex.

He hardly knew what was happening. Before he could even shout or make a move to block the other man, there was a sharp jab in his arm. The world faded into blackness. Alex felt himself go limp.

After that, he knew no more for a long time.

Organization headquarters:

Doctor Harold Fisk walked through the white halls, the overhead lights making his headache glaringly apparent. He had just finished a meeting with his boss Eric. He had been yelled at and threatened. He'd been yelled at before, but a threat? That was certainly new.

His headache throbbed.

He swiped his keycard. The light turned green and he pushed his way into the lab. The bright lights did nothing for his headache, and he pinched the bridge of his nose.

The head scientist, Clara Johnson, jogged up to him, her dark brown ponytail bobbing up and down in time with her step. When she reached him, she pushed her glasses back up her freckled nose from where they'd slipped. He let his hand fall to his side as he turned to gaze to her.

"Sir, I think you should know, we've made a big breakthrough. Agent 01 will be ready for deployment within the hour." She said, breathless from the run.

"That's fantastic news," Harold said, clutching his fingers tighter while thinking about Eric's threat.

"Would you like to see him, Sir?" Clara asked. She pulled at the lapels of her white lab coat, tugging it tighter around herself.