Chapter twenty-one:

Clarity walked over and put her ear to the door. The pounding had stopped abruptly, and now there was only silence in its place. She almost felt like holding her breath, straining to hear even the smallest sound that would tell whether Alex had succeeded, or if their assailant had just paused in his attack.

"Alex? Are you out there?" she called, hoping that he had acted quickly enough to stop the intruder. It would be difficult to maneuver the situation if he failed.

Although muffled by the door she heard him say a simple "Yes."

She let out a huge puff of breath.

She moved the chair out from under the doorknob, and Alex came through a second later. He was walking backward and bent over, dragging a body that she could only assume was that of the latest agent that the Organization had sent.

She took a deep breath, trying to calm her still-racing heart as she looked over the agent.

The first thing that she noticed was his size. He was skinny, small, and not at all what she thought a secret agent, albeit an unwilling one, should look like. With pale skin and a bald head covered in a web of wires. His eyes were open, and were a sinister-looking black as if his pupil had dilated too far that it had consumed his whole iris. But looking back on the last three people she'd met, she wouldn't be surprised if his eyes were just black like that normally.

"I recognize him from the Organization. He's a telepath." Alex said informed them, letting the agent's head drop to the carpeted floor with a dull thump. No one said anything to Alex's remark. He definitely looked more like a telepath than a secret agent, though.

"If he's a telepath, that means, when he wakes up, he'll be able to control, or at least read our thoughts?" Sam asked, breaking the stretch of silence.

"I don't think that he'll be waking up any time soon," Alex said, so surely that she looked over the guy again, trying to detect anything that was seriously wrong—enough to prevent his waking.

She noticed that several of the wires on the back of his head were broken, and she guessed that that must be it.

She wondered after a second of thought if the wires were the reason for his telepathic ability, or if he was a mutant. She suppressed a shudder, taking a half-step back from the unconscious form of the telepath.

She looked around at the other people.

"How did they get a telepath? Aren't they supposed to be, like, extinct? Especially after the Chicago thing." Sam said when yet another short stretch of silence permeated the room.

Alex shrugged but offered no explanation.

"I think that if we ever do manage to break into the Organization's headquarters, we can use the telepath. They obviously spent a lot of time on him." Sam said, gesturing to the tangle of wires protruding from the telepath's head. "If we take him, we can use him as leverage, threaten to hurt him if we get into trouble."

She noticed that Rachel was pretty much glaring daggers at the cat-like mutant. She must not like Sam.

But Clarity could understand that. It wasn't too easy to trust someone after so short a time, especially remembering Alex's words regarding his willingness to flip to the other side. And with how crafty he seemed to be, she wasn't so fond of him either.

"Once we get in, we can use the teleporters to move everyone that they kidnapped. Then it's just a matter of destroying everything else." Alex said, his eyes fixed on the wall.

The fact that there was an unconscious telepath in the middle of the room didn't seem to trouble anyone but Clarity, so she tried to hide her unease. She felt like she was in way over her head with all of this like she had been yanked away from her real life and dumped right in the middle of a dramatic sci-fi film.