Tommy Shelby

Thomas Michael Shelby OBE DCM MM MP is the leader of the Birmingham criminal gang, the Peaky Blinders and the patriarch of the Shelby Family. Tommy served in World War I with the rank of Sergeant Major and was decorated for bravery. His experiences in World War I left him disillusioned and beset with ongoing nightmares, and he becomes determined to move his family up in the world. After the vendetta with the New York Mafia, and during the year of the Wall Street Crash, Thomas Shelby became a Member of Parliament as a socialist politician while lending the chair of the illegal business to his older brother, Arthur Shelby.

Thomas Shelby and his siblings are Gypsies from both sides of their family. It is implied by their aunt, Polly, who is their father's sister and Thomas himself when he states in Series 1 that the Lee Family are kin to the Shelby family from their mother's side. It can be concluded that perhaps both of Thomas' parents are partially Romani Gypsies. Thomas was in love with a girl named Greta Jurossi before the First World War, as stated by Jessie Eden. Gretta grew sick, and Thomas stayed by her bedside for three months before she passed away and he went to war. It is implied that there was a drastic personality shift before and after his experiences in the First World War, during which he was a Tunneller or Sapper (a volunteer digging treacherous tunnels covertly, in order to place enormous amount of explosives beneath enemy lines, a tactic used several times in the war to devastating effect). After the War, he began experiencing symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.Thomas Shelby is a former British soldier and his war record states that he fought bravely at the Battle of Verdun and the Battle of Somme. His actions at Mons reportedly saved thousands of allied lives, for which he received medals of honour after the War, including the Military Medal and the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

Unlike the Shelby siblings, Thomas is a very calm and observant man, showcasing his wit and ruthlessness to anyone who threatens him or his family. He is widely respected among his local community and is seen as a dangerous foe by his enemies. Under his leadership, the Peaky Blinders have risen from a local Birmingham street gang to a national enterprise that has gone toe-to-toe with the New York Mafia.Cillian Murphy as Peaky Blinders mob boss Tommy Shelby.