Polly Shelby

Elizabeth "Polly" Gray (née Shelby) is the matriarch of the Shelby Family, aunt of the Shelby siblings, the treasurer of the Birmingham criminal gang, the Peaky Blinders, a certified accountant and company treasurer of Shelby Company Limited.  She managed the Peaky Blinders when the Shelby boys were absent during the Great War. She is the unofficial head of the Shelby Family and often advises Thomas Shelby on the gang's business. She is PORTRAYED BY Helen McCrory. 

Polly originates from criminal Gypsy family the Shelbys , daughter of Mr Shelby and Birdie Boswell. Polly tells her son Michael Gray that his Grandmother was Gypsy Princess named Birdie Boswell. Polly always wears the Black Madonna. Arthur Shelby Sr. calls her Pollyanna. When she was young and the police were after her father, he used to take the family out, living in the wood. When she was sixteen she fell pregnant, however the father did not return and she was forced to abort the child on her own terms.  She later married a river Gypsy Gray and had two children, Michael and Anna Gray. However, her husband died drunk, squeezed between a boat and a lock and both her children were taken from her by the parish authorities, in part due to the intervention of a neighbour.  Aunt Polly has looked after her nephews Arthur Jr., Thomas, John, Finn and niece Ada since they were young, managed the Peaky Blinders and its businesses, while the Shelby boys were fighting in WWI.