00 | BIRTHDAY CANDLES

FOR KIM TAEHYUNG, falling in love with autumn jacobs hadn't been a sudden tumble off the top of mount everest. it began as a light drizzle, gradually growing into a rainfall until it became a massive, unending thunderstorm. it was the little things that suddenly transformed into the tremendously important details that fueled his emotions.

it wasn't always like this. taehyung hadn't always thought of her in that way. they might have known each other practically all their lives, but it was not a childhood crush he'd never been able to let go of. in fact, autumn was, by no means, taehyung's first love. a few years ago, he would have laughed in the face of anyone who told him he would fall in love with his oldest friend. yet, here he was.

his footsteps were soundless against the marble floors of the apartment. the air was still warm, the breeze that drafted in through open windows causing the flames of the candles to flicker. he glanced up to see park jimin gesturing for him to hurry up in the low lighting.

the sound of a door opening and shutting could be heard. the two froze for a beat, neither moving as though they were characters in a video recording that had been paused. "why is it so dark in here? isn't he home yet? i swear to god, taehyung." a light voice drifted into taehyung's ears. his heart slowed and picked up all in the matter of seconds.

it was her. autumn was here.

wrapping his fingers around the door handle, jimin glanced back at his friend for confirmation. taehyung bobbed his head in reply to signal that everything was fine. turning back, jimin pushed down on the handle, breaking into the familiar song. taehyung joined in immediately, his rich baritone contrasting nicely with jimin's soft voice. the others chimed in soon after.

the lights were still off, so he could only see autumn's outline against the strips of milky moonlight streaming in through the open curtains in dappled patterns. her hands were pressed against her mouth, the corners of her eyes crinkled in happiness.

he stopped right in front of her, his face split in a warm smile. "happy birthday, autumn." he mumbled, holding the strawberry cake out in towards her. the light from the birthday candles illuminated both their faces in a warm glow. autumn had her eyes on the cake and taehyung had his eyes on her.

he took in the features that were now permanently burned into his memory. big eyes like pools of warm black coffee swimming in a sea of milk. when the light hit them just right they glowed a brighter, more golden hue. the bronze undertones of her rich earthy skin reminded him of the falling leaves of autumn. and made him think she had an eternal light within her that made her skin always glow even in the most unflattering of lightings.

she was so breathtakingly beautiful, he couldn't help but wonder why it had taken him so long to realise. it wasn't like he didn't know, but it took on a whole new dimension as his feelings for her changed. she became more surreal. an ethereal being he could only gaze upon from afar and long for but never reach.

"my favourite." she mumbled, glancing up at him. his cheeks rounded even more as his quirky smile grew wider. autumn had been born on the first day of fall in 1996, hence her name. and even more than her name, everything about her always reminded taehyung about the season. all except for her love of strawberry cake.

it was strange, seeing someone he'd always had in his life in a different light. he was acutely aware of everything that she did and said. every detail he knew about her became more special and endearing and somehow made him fall even more in love with her.

"of course." his voice came out soft and warm. she chuckled lightly, seeming to know exactly what he was thinking. that she wouldn't have any other. "make a wish." he whispered. she shut her eyes for a moment before letting them flutter open again. leaning forward, her plump lips rounded.

and when she blew out the candles, autumn wasn't the only one who had made a wish.

WISHING FOR AUTUMN | kthOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara