03 | EYELASH

THE GLASS DOOR creaked lightly when taehyung pushed it open. his eyes scanned through the bar, searching for a face. his breaths came out in ragged puffs, chest heaving from running too fast for too long. he pushed dyed red locks out of his face. his heart was racing, but he couldn't decide why. maybe it was from the adrenaline of running all the way here or from concern.

finally finding who he was looking for, he let a sigh of relief flow past his lips. shoulders drooping at the release of tension, he approached the table. autumn's head lifted off the wooden table when he stopped in front of her, the curls that fell over her eyes sticking to her cheeks. her lips pulled up over her teeth in a goofy smile at the sight of him. "it's tae tae!" she threw her hands up.

another sigh escaped his lips when he took in the state she was in. "how did you know where i was?" she slurred, confusion written all over her face. "because you called me, you drunk." he folded his arms over his chest, unable to believe that he'd ever be in this sort of situation.

"oh, i did? props to me!" she giggled, throwing her hands up again. he pinched the bridge of his nose, turning his attention to her drinking companions. "thanks for helping to send me the address. i'll be taking her home now." he allowed his lips to curve the slightest bit. "no, it's our fault for allowing her to get this drunk." one of the girls replied, a shy smile playing on her lips.

he only nodded, picking up autumn's purse. reaching down to grab her, he pulled her up and let her lean against him. he gave another nod of acknowledgment to her friends before leading her away at a snail's pace.

a taxi was waiting outside, the driver watching with partial interest as taehyung bundled his friend into the backseat. she leaned heavily against him the moment he settled in next to her, the smell of alcohol assaulting his nose. his tongue hit the roof of his mouth in a tutting sound. "why did you drink so much when you know you're a lightweight?"

she snuggled into his chest with a groan and taehyung stiffened, hoping the loud, overenthusiastic beating of his heart wouldn't give him away. "i was feeling sad." she whined out. "i thought it will make me forget a little." melancholy leaked into her drunken slur.

he looked down at her, worry darkening his irises. "forget what?" the question slipped past his lips in spite of his awareness of what she was referring to. she sighed, one hand coming rest on his chest. "i don't remember." she giggled lightly. "guess it worked. i'm a genius. tae, i, autumn jacobs, am a genius. don't you think?" she suddenly whipped her head up to look at him.

taehyung froze, acutely aware of the infinitesimal distance between them. it felt like time stopped for him. the only indication that the world was, in fact, still turning was the city lights running across his face as the taxi moved, each taking turns to leave misshapen patterns over his features.

autumn blinked, her attention seemingly fixated on one part of his face. "tae," she murmured softly. he wasn't sure if his heart had completely stopped or if it was beating so fast he could no longer feel its presence in his chest. "you have an eyelash on your cheek, right here." her hand came up, index finger grazing his cheek lightly.

bringing his hand up, he wrapped his fingers around hers. the other reached up to swipe the thin hair away but her free hand caught his. "don't just brush it away! that's just a wasted wish." gingerly, she picked the lash off his cheek with her fingernail, dropping it onto the back of his hand unsteadily.

"now make a wish and throw that hand back!" she cheered. taehyung looked at her seriously for a moment. her warm skin looked flushed and her eyes were hooded, still she flashed white teeth in the brightest of drunken smiles he'd ever seen. if he didn't do it, that smile would fade and he didn't want that.

taking a deep breath and closing his eyes, he made a wish. he threw his hand back and let his eyes flutter open. an excited autumn grabbed it with both of hers, eyes searching for the stray lash. "it's gone!" she laughed. "tae, wish granted!" she shook his hand enthusiastically.

taehyung couldn't stop the smile from spreading across his face. even in her intoxicated, not so well put together state, she was still so dazzling to him. her essence seemed to have seeped in between his bones and enveloped him in the warmest of embraces.

she filled his dreams and his every waking moment. and every time he breathed, he felt like her scent lingered in the air around him. it was an overwhelming, heady feeling that left him dizzy. it was probably why the only word that had stuck in his mind when he tried to make a wish was her name.

and taehyung thought, maybe, just maybe, it was him, and not autumn, who was truly intoxicated.