Chapter 9 - The first hunt

The excitement caused by Dorséanan's departure had prevented Taghna from falling asleep. Cracks in the branches of the séarach overlooking the village or the hooting of nocturnal birds altered her rest and startled her at regular intervals. When she didn't gesticulate under the blankets to find a comfortable position, she suffocated from the heat only to find herself freezing cold the next moment because of a poorly placed blanket.

So it was with some relief that she heard Roséan's hard voice slamming dryly into the dawn that was pointing:

- Wake up!

The tone was set and Maoïr's calm and enveloping habits were now buried in the past. The children, although disoriented, jumped on their feet and began to follow the two adults who, far from waiting for them, were already entering the woods. Taghna pressed Færn who grabbed his things in a hurry and joined her by putting on his hat.

The apprentice hunters didn't know any details about the way Roséan and Mariach operated. They only knew they were in good hands. Roséan was known for the speed of his spear and the fruit of Mariach's successful hunts had constituted a large part of the reserves of the previous Hir.

- Damn, I forgot my spear! exclaimed Færn.

He turned his heels to return to the village but Taghna held him back by the sleeve.

- Forget it, no one took it.

- Look at Slavan, he said.

Taghna bit her lip when she realized that her brataïr was swinging a long piece of wood with a sharp tip, rather proud to be only one of the children to have brought his weapon.

- Anyway, I don't think we'll need it for now, she replied to make up for it.

Taghna felt the discomfort between her and her friend coming back and she hated herself for failing to admit her mistake. Even if they had made peace, their complicity was not fully restored. Taghna wanted to do her best to reintegrate into the group, but she had spent too much time alone and had lost what little experience she had of spontaneous interaction with her classmates. To make matters worse, she felt like she never knew what to say.

However, she made an effort to dispel the anguish that was growing in her belly.

- Do you know where we're going? she began.

- No, they didn't tell us anything, said Færn.

- It looks like we're heading north.

- I hope we're not going to do anything dangerous...

- You're kidding! I can't wait to see how they manage to catch game, Taghna replied without being able to hide her excitement.

She was afraid that she had spoken too hastily. She knew that Færn would rather learn more about plants than about the various techniques of killing a deer. Not wanting her friend to take offense so soon after reconnecting, she quickly added:

- Anyway, our chances to see an animal aren't that high I guess.

Færn smiled as he acknowledges Taghna's efforts. He understood her so well that he wondered with a pinch in his heart why they had come to distance themselves from each other.

- It's true that you've always dreamed of going on a hunt, he continued.

Seeing his remark as an outstretched hand, Taghna took the opportunity to continue her tirade about the next adventures they should undertake. Færn responded enthusiastically and their good humour merged with that of their comrades who were squealing as they followed their néach.