Chapter 27 - The Flight

Taghna hastened to spread Ergatul's message to all the Muïréal. She didn't have much to do. No sooner had she told a handful of villagers that exiles were approaching that she could hear murmurs rushing through the cave at the speed of the wind, passing from one group of villagers to another to relay the latest news.

In no time at all, the sleeping village found itself restless like an ant hill. Some were busy putting away things that were lying around, others were gathering the children to take them to a room at the back of the cave, and still others were getting ready to go out to accompany Ergatul. True to form, the dean had decided to welcome the new arrivals regardless of the circumstances of their arrival.

This restlessness mixed with enthusiasm was opposite to Taghna's feelings. She couldn't help but feel a deep and dull anxiety. She could not understand where these exiles were coming from. The first signs of the Hir were being felt and, compared to Séaroën or the other villages, it was far too late for the people who had decided to become exiled to leave their tribe at that time.

Was it possible that it was the elders of some village, or even of Séaroën, who sacrificed themselves before the Hir to leave as much food as possible for the rest of the inhabitants? Taghna would have liked to convince herself of such a possibility, but she hardly believed it. If Dannaï and Séabanh had wanted to go into exile, they would have done so after sealing the houses with a solid wall during the first snows. This would have given them all the time they needed to help with the harvests. But it was still some time away before the temperatures dropped as much as the first snow.

Taghna would have wanted to isolate herself. On the one hand, she wanted to be able to think calmly to understand where the exiles could come from, and on the other hand, she wanted to meditate to glean as much information about them. But the bustle and noise in the cave prevented her from keeping her concentration.

Slavan and Pertuil came out of a cell. Taghna was surprised that Slavan still hadn't chosen to take a room alone with his partner, since it was now clear that they were a couple pretty much like the Abtui were doing. The two of them were getting ready to put on their fur jackets. Obviously, they wanted to join Ergatul.

Putting aside her grudge, Taghna approached them:

- Hello, Slavan.

- Hello Taghna. So, another durséar is coming? It's a good thing, we need as many arms as possible! Slavan replied cheerfully.

- Maybe you're right. Something worries me though. Can't you feel it?

- No, I don't feel anything. How can you be so suspicious...

- If I'm suspicious, there's a reason, she said reproachfully.

- If you say so..., he answered without conviction. I'll go help the others. Pertuil, let's go!

They left hand in hand. Taghna would have wanted to object but she didn't have the head for an argument. Besides, all the villagers seemed to have put their differences aside. All the people worked together and exchanged courteous and cheerful phrases.

Not far from the entrance, Ergatul gathered those who wanted to welcome the new stranger. While he waited for everyone to be ready, Taghna only had eyes for the rock at the entrance of the cave. She would have wanted to close the access tunnel and wait for the exiled to pass on their way and never be seen again.

She was getting anxious without knowing why. Watching the Muïréal so relaxed, Taghna decided to ignore her impressions. After all, Slavan might be right: she must have been too suspicious. So she put aside her desire to convince the villagers to arm themselves and prepare for the worst and went out.