A piece of Hame

Chapter Three: A piece of Hame

I wake up to the sun shining through ma windae, though the clouds are dark.

With a quick yawn and a stretch, I throw ma blankets off of maself and step out of bed, the morning chill sweeping across ma body.
The thought of getting back into bed and getting more sleep fills ma head, but quickly evaporates as ma alarm clock goes off.

"Haud yer wheesht!" I demand as I click the button on the clock, allowing the sound to dissipate.

I walk over to ma closet, open it up and look inside. It may be sunny now but I assume it will rain soon-what with the clouds being as dark as they are.

Foghar has just begun and the rain has yet to show. I suppose today is where it will start.

Removing my goonie, I slide into ma black skinny-jeans, pull ma navy green tank top over ma head and slip on my Brown windbreaker. I look at the lineup of ma shoes and boots, keeping an eye on my wellies but decide against it. Ma jacket should be good to keep from getting drookit. With one last look of ma options, I pick out ma brown knee-high boots.

"Nicole, are you ready for school yet?" Mathair yells from down the hall.

"Almost," I shout as I pick up ma bag and grab my phone from off of the charger.

I rush out of ma room and down the stairs to meet Mathair by the door. She shoogles the keys in front of me and I smile as I snatch them up and jolt through the door.

"Noo jist haud on!" She shouts from the doorstep and I come to a hault near the car. "I'm getting auld," a laugh escapes her lips as she continues. "I'm not as fast as I used to be."

I laugh, too. Mathair is in her mid thirties, auld is an excuse she uses when she doesn't want to rush.

With a huge, over-dramatic sigh, I place ma hand on ma hip. "I suppose I'll have to be in search for a home, as it's clear you are becoming less capable of your every day routine." I try to stifle ma laugh, and manage to do so, until her face drops in shock.

I burst out in a fit of laughter at her reaction as she comes nearer to the car.

"Shut your geggie," she opens the passenger door and I notice the slight smirk on her face. I laugh at that as I open my door and slide in, too.

Starting the car up, I back out of our drive and head onto the road in the direction of Mathairs office.

***

"Cute outfit," Katelyn says in greeting.

"Thank you," I say as I close the door and lock ma car.

We walk up the steps to the school and squeeze in, brushing past all the teenagers and get to our lockers.

I open mine up, drop ma bag in it and take out ma Math binder. If Kyle is in my class as he so claims to be, I hope he doesn't pester me. I doubt he will, but who knows. After all, I would never have thought he would be at a supper with Mathair and I, but there he was.

"..Hellooo, you ready to go yet?" Katelyn asks from beside me. I blink a few times as I look at her.

"Ugh, aye." I nod ma head and slam ma locker shut. "Aye, let's go."

Katelyn sighs beside me and I pretend to ignore it, she hates it when people don't listen. Though it wasn't ma fault as I go off into thought, it's the way she is.

As we enter the Math classroom, a group of jocks rush past us. I roll ma eyes and continue on ma way to ma seat.

But just as I'm about to sit, an oh so familiar face appears right in front of me, a huge smirk spread across his face.