Chapter VI: One Day

An hour later as Ben ordered, the members filed into the room again. "I would like each of you, as representatives from your region to please take a vote. As there are three representatives from each region, I expect the votes to be synonymous with your regional view of the issue"

Mal then stood, taking initiative of the voting process. "We will do this in a traditional manner. Please take one slip of paper and mark either 'yay' or 'nay' in favor of Miss Queen receiving the title that is of her birthright—"

"I object!" The Duke of Weselton interrupted. King Beast stood up, just to be sat back down by his wife.

"Well I object the Duke of Weaseltown's objection!" King Beast said, clearly upset. The Duke scoffed, mumbling the correct pronunciation of his county. 

Mal sighed, gesturing toward the Duke. "What is your objection, Sire?"

"You are trying to persuade the issue. We have made our decisions. The Southern Isles will not deteriorate because of some illegitimate child of Hans Westergaard" The council gasped and shook their heads. 

"Illegitimate?!" 

Chatter began once again around the room.

"Order!" Ben nearly roared. "Decisions have been made by every reigning chair member of the council. I would like our utmost respect for Miss Queen." The room was silent and the only sounds were that of pens marking slips of paper.

Evie's hands were shaking as that word kept ringing through her mind.

Illegitimate.

Why did it matter so much that the Southern Isles didn't want her to be apart of their region? And how would she have that connection to throne in the first place?

Unless...

Unless through her title regainment, she would be in line to the throne. And typically if you were within more than five heirs to the throne, it didn't matter to the people. So she had to be at least fifth in line. And that's why Weselton had a problem about it!

Evie was broken out of her trance upon hearing the three rings of the bell. She glanced to meet Mal's eyes. She tried to read her expression, but had no luck. The purple-hairy fairy had a stern, but blank face.

As Fairy Godmother cleared her throat, her eyes saddened as if she was disappointed.

"Out of nineteen votes, eight are in favor of Miss Queen's title being granted. And eleven... are not in favor" She said.

As the words sunk in, Evie couldn't believe it. She felt a lump growing in her throat, words no longer able to escape. Holding back her tears, she was able to sit through the rest of the meeting, silently. Snow whispered to her wondering if she was okay and whether she wanted to leave.

With no response, Snow stopped her attempts.

As soon as Ben adjourned the meeting, he tried to stop Evie so he could speak with her, but she ran out of the room as fast as she could. Behind her, Evie could hear the scoffs of disapproval from the council members.

But at that point it no longer mattered.

They didn't trust her and neither did Auradon. Her head was spinning with thoughts as she ran into Doug who was having a conversation with a castle tour guide.

"Hey," he said, turning to her happily. He noticed her face crumble and said a quick goodbye to the guide. The tears she had held back ran down her face. Doug wiped the streams of tears from her cheeks and wanted to make everything go away. He hated to see Evie like this, as it was a rarity of her to let down her guard.

As they sat on a bench, Evie stumbled on her words, trying to tell him what happened. "They—they voted. And said I'm illegitimate. That I want to take over the Southern Isles. Denied my status"

"Oh, Evie. I'm so sorry, Princess" he said placing his arm around her shoulders. Just then, Snow White, Prince Florian and Dopey ran ((well briskly walked, let's put it that way)) up to the two.

"Are you alright? Mal and Ben were worried about you. All of us understand how you're feeling. People should have understood that you don't have plans to harm the Southern Isles" Snow said, rushing to her side.

She nodded, wiping her eyes. "Thank you. I just can't believe it. I've never had an evil bone in my body. I just want to prove to Auradon that VKs aren't inferior"

"Oh, that'll take quite some time, Evie. But I respect your thoughts" Florian said. Evie thought she saw Snow frown at his words, but as she glanced at the woman again, there was no sign of any negative feelings about it. As they walked out of the castle, Snow left with Florian, promising Evie she'd check up on her the next morning.

Doug helped to calm Evie down and kissed either of her rosy cheeks, allowing her to break a smile at the sweet display of affection. She took a tissue from her purse and wiped her eyes in an attempt to stop her tears.

And so with the others gone, Doug, Evie and Dopey sat together awkwardly. Doug smiled and gestured to Evie. "I know this is most likely the strangest introduction, but Dad, this is Evie. And Evie, this is my dad"

"Very nice to meet you, Mr. White" Evie said trying to hide her eyes. She silently cursed herself for the lack of neatness to her mascara.

"Hello, Evie" he said shaking her hand. "I'm sorry we had to properly meet at this occasion, but I hope to see you in a better location soon"

"Likewise" Evie responded with a chuckle.

Dopey excused himself, saying his goodbyes to his son and Evie. The couple sat on the bench for awhile longer, Evie curling up onto his shoulder. She felt safe and comfortable with him next to her. With more than half of the nation not on her side, Evie no longer felt as good as she once did about Auradon. 

One day she'd change their minds.

One day.