Chapter XI: Cold Shoulders and Pizza

The ride back to the hotel was silent, but comfortable. Over the course of the hour ride to the main city that favored Auradon City, Evie had fallen asleep on Doug's shoulder. By the time they arrived it was only seven in the evening, but jet lag had taken a toll on her, as it was only noon in Auradon City. In the Southern Isles, this time of year was the darkest. Even as the sun usually wouldn't set in Auradon City until eight, it was already pitch black.

With a honk of the horn, the driver looked in the rear view mirror. ""Your destination"

Doug looked up from his phone and to his side. Gently shaking Evie awake, he thanked the driver and waited for her to open her eyes. They fluttered open and she yawned, stretching as much as she could. "Our destination awaits, Princess" he said sliding out of the car. She followed suit and one of the doormen unloaded the trunk of the car. The couple them went inside the large hotel as their luggage followed behind them.

"Mal wasn't kidding when she said she'd put in that you'd get the works" Doug chuckled. Evie nodded, her eyes shining at the chandeliers above her head and the marble flooring. Evie could barely walk as she was in awe of the hotel. Finally making their way to the receptionist the woman smiled.

"Checking in? May I get a surname?"

"Queen" Evie said just as her phone rang. She pressed the "talk" button and answered. "Hey, M. Can I call you right back?"

"Evie Queen, fourth floor suite. Requested by Lady Mal..." the woman breathed out. Her eyes were wide as she shook her head trying to gain her composure. "Um, Alfred will guide you to the suite. May I ask the occasion? Honeymoon?"

Evie and Doug both blushed and awkwardly coughed. "No. Just a vacation"

"Oh! Well the fourth floor suite is the best room we have. Usually for couples on their honeymoon. If you don't mind, I can have someone go remove the rose petals" the woman chuckled.

"We can do it ourselves. She's a little tired" Doug said. The receptionist thanked them and they walked away, following the doorman.

As they rode up to the fourth floor in the elevator, the doorman—Alfred—filled them in on complimentary breakfast, spa availability, the fitness room as well as the sauna. "Dank je" Doug said as he took the bellman cart with their luggage and they went to find their suite.

"You speak Dutch?" Evie asked in surprise. Things were still a little awkward between them as she still didn't know why he was acting so strange. She turned back to him as he shrugged.

"I know a little"

"Oh. Well, here's 415" Evie said taking out the key card and swiping it. The door unlocked with a click and she stepped inside, bursting into laughter. Doug frowned in confusion, until he walked inside.

The room was lit by a few candles, rose petals scattered around the bed. A basket of goodS and two gourmet chocolate swans sat on the desk. "Um, so that's interesting" Evie said. "Should we see if we can switch rooms? I think Mal ordered the room before I told her you were coming..."

Doug started picking up rose petals and turned on the lamp, blowing out a few candles. Evie took out her phone and sent a picture to Mal.

"It's really not a big deal, Evie. I can sleep on the couch" Doug said. Evie turned to face him and rolled her eyes.

"Can we talk after I get off the phone with Mal?" she asked. Doug nodded in response. She went to check out the closet and the bathroom as Mal answered.

The best friends spoke for almost half an hour and when Evie came out of the bathroom, the room looked normal. Two laps were on, candles were stored in a closet and the rose petals were history.