Chpt 44: Declarations and discoveries.

Cat Noir was pacing the candle rooftop, anxiously waiting for Ladybug.  He hoped that this was the right time and the right way to do this!  He heard Ladybug land on the roof behind him and turned.  She stopped a few feet from him and they stood gazing at each other.

"I have something I want to say," said Cat Noir at the same time Ladybug said "Kitty, I . . ."

They both blushed, and Cat Noir took a small step forward before saying "This is really important."

"Um, okay, you first then."  Ladybug was nervous about what she wanted to say to him and took this extra time as an opportunity to get her courage back up.  She looked at him, wondering what was so important.

"You are the most amazing person, in and out of costume.  I'm so lucky to know you and spend time with you.  You make my life better."  He pulled a red rose out from behind his back and her heart skipped a beat.  "I hope that you can finally really accept this and all that it means." He offered her the rose.  "Because I love you!"  Cat looked at her earnestly, willing her to to accept all that he was offering.

Ladybug felt tears in her eyes.  She looked down at the rose and reached out to take it, her hand brushing his.  Cat smiled at her acceptance, not really realizing until then how much this would mean to him.  She breathed in the flower's scent, before holding it down at her waist and then looking up at him.  "It is difficult to even put into words how much you mean to me.  I love that you always look for the best in everyone, including me.  I love how you aren't intimidated when I take charge.  I love how well we work together, in and out of costume.  Most of all, I love you!" Ladybug pulled her other hand from behind her back, holding out an identical red rose to him.  He grinned, feeling touched that their other rooftop encounter so long ago did mean something to her.  Cat gently took the rose from her.

Ladybug and Cat Noir stared into each other's eyes, reading the love shown clearly there, before moving to share a tender kiss.

An explosion rocked the city to the north, shaking the building slightly.  The explosion startled them out of the kiss.  The roses dropped to the ground as they swung there heads toward the multi-colored, obviously magical fire in the distance.  They could hear the faint, panicked cries.

Cat Noir gave Ladybug one of his lop-sided smiles, thinking that of course the big action sequence would happen now!  It couldn't have waited a few more minutes? She grinned back at him, knowing just what he was thinking.

"I guess this is finally it," said Cat Noir.  "Let's do it!" they said together before launching off the building, Cat heading toward the fire and Ladybug heading to get the Miraculouses, while calling Alya on the way.

- - -

Ladybug, Rena, and Carapace caught up to Cat Noir at the bottom of the Eiffel Tower.  There was so much confusion and smoke that it was difficult for them to even figure out what was happening!

Cat Noir was trying to hold off some kind of large, feathered creature that Ladybug could hardly believe was actually even an akumatized person!  She threw her yoyo, winding it around the creature's feet, toppling it to the ground.  Cat leaned on his stick for a moment out of breath.  "Thanks, M'Lady!  I'm not sure this Cat could actually even get that canary.  What kind of weird akumatization is that, anyway?"

Ladybug shook her head, not knowing how to answer.  "And why do we always seem to be fighting here at the Eiffel Tower?"

"Look out!" Cat yelled as he knocked Ladybug down, rolling with her to avoid someone flying right over their head.  He landed on top of her, quickly regained his footing, and pulled her up.

"This is absolutely insane!  Where are Rena Rouge and Carapace?"  Cat looked around before seeing them about twenty feet away, trying to keep a two-headed creature with what looked like a samurai sword from getting them.  Carapace had his shield over them and they seemed to be discussing what they should do.  "It kind of seems like we are in some type of horror movie!  These akumatized people must have been having some really odd thoughts to turn out like this!"