»IV. jason gets lightning freaky

leo watched jocelyn sit down at the empty poseidon table

leo watched jocelyn sit down at the empty poseidon table.  she usually loved dinner at the campus, he remembered. she would always get mac and cheese with fries. it had seemed like a weird combo to him, but she loved it. tonight, she looked like she rather be anywhere but here.

leo hated not talking to her. he wished that he could forgive her, but he was hurt that she couldn't trust him enough to tell him to the truth.

"you have some competition," nyssa whispered, who was eating next to him.

"what are you talking about?" he whispered back, tearing his eyes away from her.

"jocelyn. she's been here long enough, everyone knows her. quite a few people like her," she said. leo stole another glance. it was possibly one of the times he's seen her that sad before. jealously panged at his heart.

"everything okay between you two?" the guy across from leo asked. leo was silent.

"let me guess. you're upset because she didn't tell you about her past. about who she is." he said, shoving a steak into his mouth. leo only fiddled with his spoon.

"let me ask you something," nyssa said. "what is your past? did you open to her?" leo looked at nyssa with a defeated look. he opened his mouth to halfheartedly argue.

"we swore on our lives to never tell anyone mortal about us. it puts you in danger, knowing that we're real. she was protecting you, leo." leo turned to face her. she left a full plate, and he watched as she walked down to the beach.

the guy to his right motioned to go. he got a single pat on the back, and he started walking towards the beach.

i wasn't hungry. i usually had percy to eat with, and chiron was less strict on what table you sat at during the school year. i trudged to the beach, kicking stones and keeping my head low.

when i made it to the sand, i took off my shoes, rolled up my pants, and stuck my feet in the cold water. the soft waves and the pink cotton candy clouds always helped me think.

i let a single tear fall down my cheeks. i missed camp so much, but there was so many problems. my brother was missing. piper was in a coma. jason had no memory. leo hated me. i couldn't help but to think it was my fault.

my mind was still far away when leo sat next me. i put my head on heads on instinct, and cringed, expecting him to pull away. but he didn't. we sat in comfortable silence, looking out at the horizon.

"i'm sorry," leo murmured, playing with my hair. i looked up at him with a sad smile.

"don't be sorry. i should have told you," i told him. he just shook his head.

"me and mom had a mechanic shop when i was younger," he said, not meeting my eyes.

"leo, you don't-"