»V. leo valdez rides the dragon of death

"why don't my plans ever work?"

"thats 'cause you never had one to begin with," i said to will, rolling my eyes.

we stood at the front of my cabin. he had been trying to get me to get off the fighting circle and get to sleep for half an hour.

"i take offence to that!" he said, putting a hand over his heart.
"then leave!" i said exasperated. i was not about to let down piper and jason. especially leo. he glared, and crossed his arms.

"wow, wait! is that nico?" i practically yelled. will snapped around, and i made a run for it. i heard him cursing me out in ancient greek, but he never stood a chance. i was used to running for my life. i ran all the way to the beach.

when i got there, i wasted no time stripping into my undergarments and jumping into the cold water. i sank to the bottom of the bed, watching the schools of fish swim by. i sighed heavily. it had been months since i had daydreams of dylan. they hurt just as bad as the day he died. it made me feel gulity for wanted to be with leo. everyone had told me to move on, it was what he would have wanted, but he wasn't there to tell me so. dylan was gone.

after a while, i decided to actually try to sleep. i pushed off the sand, and launched myself to the surface. i quickly got dressed, and ran before the harpies found me. i ran all the way to my cabin. no one was out, it had to been past one. i shoved some stuff into my backpack hastily for tomorrow, before jumping onto my bed. i was out in seconds.

i looked around me, trying to make sense of my surrondings. there was nothing but blackness around me. i could see no end from any direction.
"you dare test me?" a voice erupted from all corners of my brain.
"you are too weak, demigod. you have no idea the power i hold," it was a womans voice, her voice echoing around me.
"you will be sorry," i heard a cry for help. turning around, i saw luke. i stepped towards, to help him when he charged at me. i turned to run the other way, when someone caught me. i looked up to see bianca holding my shoulders tightly. just being in her presence made my bottom lip tremble. more and more people that i had let down emerged. beckendorf, ethan, silena, zoë, michael yew, castor, lee fletcher, and all the demigods that had died during the battle of manhattan.

"still think you can beat me?" the voice roared. "lead them? you're leading them to their deaths! just like dylan!" the voice screamed the last word, and my head felt like it was splitting in two.

i tore bianca's grip off of me, and backed away from them. whispers from them, taunting me. i continued to back up until i hit something. I turned to see who it was..

i woke up screaming. someone was holding me, trying to comfort me. i was still screaming, tears streaming down my face.

"jocelyn! you're okay," the person holding me told me.

when i finally got a grip, my vision focused. annabeth was hugging me on the floor of the poseidon cabin. i gulped in big breaths of air, and i tried to stop the flow of tears. i needed to get a grip on myself, i had cried more in the past two days then i had in months. but in my moment of weakness, i needed annabeth. she knew that too. so we sat in silence, with me holding onto her like she was the last thing i had left. in some ways, she was.