E I G H T

Evelyn woke up the next day completely alone. She sat up in the bed and looked around the room, noting how everything seemed to have its own place.

Her eyes moved back over to the bookshelves. If there was one thing Evelyn loved more than food, it was books. She could read for hours on end without getting bored.

Getting up from the bed, the girl made her way over to the bookshelves, running her fingers across the spines of what seemed to be very old and well-used books.

"What're you doing, sweetheart?"

Evelyn gasped, jumping a little at the voice. She turned around to see Jasper standing in the doorway, a towel wrapped around his waist. His hair was still wet from the shower he had obviously just taken and the girl could still see small droplets of water on his skin.

"I- I was just l-looking at the b-books."

Jasper chuckled. "You're not in trouble honey, no need to be afraid."

Evelyn nodded, turning back to refocus on the books instead of the half-naked man standing behind her.

"I'm not sure there's anything you'll enjoy in there," Jasper spoke. "You'll probably have more luck in the library."

The girl turned back around. "Library?"

Jasper nodded. "I can take you there after I get dressed."

Evelyn blushed, her attention once again being turned to the fact that he was half-naked. "O-Okay."

Jasper chuckled before walking into his closet, coming out only a few seconds later but this time fully dressed. He held his hand out to the girl, watching as she hesitantly put her own into his before following him out the door.

- • -

"There's so many," Evelyn gasped, turning her head every which way to take in the hundreds of shelves that were completely filled with books.

Jasper watched the young girl in amazement as she walked along the aisles, her fingers gliding along the spines of the books as she moved.

Eventually she stopped, finally having found the genre she was looking for.

"Romance, hm?" Jasper questioned, a smirk forming on his face.

Evelyn blushed, shrugging her shoulders. "They've always been my favorite."

"Alright then, princess. I've got some work to do so I'll leave you be for now. If you need anything you call me, I've programmed my number into your phone already."

"B-But what if you're busy? I don't want to bother you."

"I will never be too busy for you, little one. Anytime you need me I will always come running, no matter what I'm doing. You're what's most important to me. Understand?"

A blush formed once again on the girls cheeks as she nodded.

"Good. I'll send someone up to bring you some breakfast, and I'll be back a little later to get you for lunch."

Jasper watched as the girl nodded again, the book she would soon be reading clutched in her hands. He smiled, kissed the top of her head, and then made his way out of the library.

Evelyn made her way over to the little seating area in the back of the room. She settled herself on the comfortable sofa before opening the book.

A couple of minutes had passed before someone entered the library with a small tray of breakfast items. The woman brought the tray over to the table and set it down.

"Thank you," Evelyn whispered, gratefully smiling at the woman before she left.

Evelyn continued to read as she slowly ate the breakfast that consisted of toast, potatoes, fruit, and orange juice.

- • -

Hours had passed before Jasper came back to fetch Evelyn for lunch. They had taken their food out into the garden, wanting to enjoy the fresh air.

"Did you enjoy your time in the library?"

Evelyn smiled at the man, nodding her head. "Very much. The place is ginormous!"

Jasper smiled, taking a bite of his sandwich. "Good. You're more than welcome to spend as much time as you want there."

"Thank you."

"There's no need to thank me, darling. All I wish is for you to be happy."

- • -

hello again! oh my goodness it's been a while and i'm so so so sorry for that. there's been so much going on in my life that i haven't had the chance to sit down and write for a good minute.

i'm on winter break right now up until the second week of january so i'm hoping i'll have more time to write but i do still have a job, friends, and family and those three things come first before writing.

hope you can all understand!

- emma