Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Mason sighs and files away the paperwork into the cabinet. His gaze flickers to the security camera monitors and then back to the rest of the unfinished work in front of him. Paperwork is the bane of his life. God, he escaped school so he wouldn't have to sit behind a desk all day! Now, it looks like he just has to do it all night.
He pulls out the bank statements when there's a knock at his office door.

"Come in," he calls.

Jared one of the security guards pushes open the door and clears his throat.
"What is it Jared?" asks Mason, head tilting up and eyes meeting the security guard's.
"Sir, we've got a...situation," stumbles out Jared. 

Even though he's a big, burly guy himself, Jared's wary of his employer. It isn't that Mason Carter is a bad man or that he's done anything particularly immoral and yes, Jared would class him, as honest, but...there is just something about Mr Carter that's intimidating. There's almost like a secluding dark mist covering his aura- glimpses of the man's nature can be seen but never in its entirety. Although that maybe due to very few people really knowing Mason- his quiet, brooding nature does make that hard. So Jared isn't sure what exactly it is about the man that puts him on a slight cautious edge, but it definitely is something.

Nonetheless Jared keeps his opinions to himself and doesn't question the hand that provides. And well at that.

"What...kind of situation?" questions Mason eyes still focused on Jared.
It's an uncomfortable stare that has Jared shifting his feet slightly and clearing his throat nervously. He just isn't sure how to explain it.

"Well, Sir, there's a passed out girl downstairs," slowly begins Jared.
"So? Jared, you know we get quite a few sometimes, who've had a little too much to drink."
"Of course Sir but the thing is, she's not drunk. I think she passed out from exhaustion."
"Exhaustion? In my club? Who was her Dom or Sub?"
"Oh no! No, I didn't mean it like that Sir! What I...She-she well, she stumbled in the door from the woods, barely dressed and when I tried to ask her if I could help, she passed out."

His eyebrows almost furrow in confusion, wondering whether this is actually true or if it's just some hoax his staff are trying to pull. No, it wouldn't be a prank. After all, it is a working night and they have no reason to do it. For now, he must give Jared the benefit of the doubt and as such, he calmly rises to his feet and stacks his papers into some sort of pile, before addressing Jared.

"Bring her upstairs, to one of the spare rooms and have someone fetch the doctor. I need to speak to Cole," instructs Mason.

Due to being so far out of town from the nearest hospital, an on-call doctor is admitted onto his pay roll. Besides, it's good to have one to do the monthly staff sexual health checks. He could always take this woman to the hospital, but first she needs to become conscious. Plus, having ambulances arrive at the club wouldn't exactly be great for business.

****************************************

Mason's known Cole since high-school where they were thick-as-thieves and to this day continue to be. Therefore when Cole wasn't sure what he wanted to do, Mason naturally offered him a job bartending and overseeing the club as an unofficial second in command. It had only started out as a temporary position and now years later, he remains, working the bar and keeping the peace on the base where all the shows run and partners are chosen. It's mostly an easy job-even during peak hours and days. However, every once in a while (with newcomers mostly) there'd be the occasional cat-fight for a particular Dom or Sub, in which case Cole would step in and break it up or send them to be dealt with by Mason. Unsurprisingly, people chose to break it up rather than risk a run in with the infamous club owner.