7. Soft Glow

Hesitant footsteps echo against the damp pavement as I stroll through the unfamiliar streets of Seattle. The crisp March air bites at my cheeks, but there's a sense of excitement that warms me from within as the city unfolds before me like a mystery waiting to be unraveled.

Tonight, the craving for an evening stroll and a change of scenery overcame me. Yesterday I reached out to Stone, hoping for a companion on this improvised journey, but his response held a hint of regret as he explained that tonight he had some plans with a girl. I did not ask any further questions, it was clear that he wanted to keep a certain aura of mystery around the identity of the lucky.

Undeterred, I decided to embrace the city's nocturnal charm on my own, walking in the sparkling lights and surrounded by the energy of a night that holds the promise of something special.

Stone had suggested a quaint live music venue, not far away from where we live. 'You'll love it' he said with a knowing grin, and trusting his taste I navigate through the dimly lit alleys and cobblestone streets, guided only by the distant melodies drifting through the crisp night air.

The place, named OK Hotel, materializes in front of me and its unassuming exterior belying the magic within. The glow of neon lights spills onto the sidewalk, casting a spectrum of colors on the rain-slicked pavement. A small, handwritten sign swings gently in the breeze, announcing tonight's performance.

Taking a deep breath I push open the door, the warmth of the music and the scent of aged wood and spilled beer enveloping me. The room is intimate, a collection of mismatched tables and chairs arranged in front of a small stage. The low hum of conversation blends with the tuning of instruments, creating a symphony of anticipation.

As the first notes of a guitar fill the air, I'm captivated by the raw, soulful sound. My nerves begin to settle, replaced by a sense of belonging, while my eyes are scanning the place for any familiar faces. My heart leaps into my throat when, standing at the opposite corner of the room and immersed in the vibrant atmosphere of sounds and colors, I suddenly catch sight of Eddie in the midst of the crowd.

His long hair flows gracefully with the rhythm of the music, adding an air of refined nonchalance to his profile. The subdued lighting plays on his face focused on the performance,and his eyes, a reflection of the passion unfolding on the stage, follow each note with an intensity that mirrors the soulful sound. He seems transported to another realm, lost in the music and lyrics.

The crowd is waving disorderly and I'm unable to look away, traverse the distance that separates us. He seems to be here alone, and despite my efforts to look the other way, my eyes just keep falling on him.

As I stand, mesmerized by the live music, I notice him gradually moving through the crowd. His silhouette, defined by the dim lighting, weaves smoothly through the sea of people, disappearing from my line of sight. The distant strains of the music are the only remnants of his presence as he navigates the room.

Time passes, each note bringing a heightened sense of anticipation, and in the middle of the night I find myself silently searching for Eddie. However, the shifting crowd obscures him from view, and I feel a momentary pang of unjustified disappointment.

I try not to dwell on his sudden disappearance and, above all, on the fact that he's here somewhere. The vibrant atmosphere of the venue demands my attention, and I do my best to distract my mind and continue to enjoy the night. As I surrender to the rhythm and I begin to let go of the thought, I feel a tap on my shoulder and a voice startles me from behind.

"Mind if I join you?"

I turn around and there stands Eddie, with a playful smile and a mischievous glint in his eyes. His words, smooth and inviting, catch me by surprise. A warm smile graces his lips as he looks at me, waiting for me to answer. I genuinely smile and nod.