Chapter 4

(Photograph by @Teaandmorphine permission pending )

Madoc refused to go over the details of his plan until we were back in Faerie. I agreed. Although we both knew I didn't really have a choice. As well, I was greedy for the chance to come home, almost desperate enough to not care about the hows and whys. I didn't even look back. I took Madoc's hand allowing him to help me to my feet and marched away. Leaving Vivi's precious human world behind without even a second thought.

When we arrive at Madoc's secret stronghold in the Unseelie lands Madoc urges me off the back of a silver-shod steed in such a rush that I tumble down to my hands and knees, scraping my palms on the graveled path. A tiny sprout springs forth beneath my hand. But before I can even comprehend what happened Madoc pulls me up, he glances right and left, eyes flashing fiercely in the dark and then leads me quickly inside

I've never been to the Unseelie lands, I've only ever heard tales. It unnerves me being here. Madoc is a traitor to the crown. Stole half of the guard and is unsworn. And me having been exiled and found here and with Madoc is treason. Let her not step one foot in Faerie or forfeit her life. Lord Roibon may have accepted Madoc despite his treachery against his own king, but I have no place here. Not without a pardon.

This stronghold is modest in size compared to our home in Elfhame. Still it is stunning and large. All stone and turrets and thick wooden beams. Each fireplace is either lit or smoldering in the rooms we pass. I don't see anyone else and I hope that if Madoc did have Oak taken back to Faerie that he is safe with Oriana somewhere here in the house.

Madoc leads me down a dark set of stairs until we arrive at his study. Gnarbone is summoned immediately and returns soon after with a kettle of tea and oatcakes with honey and pomegranate jam. I don't bother with formalities at the welcomed sight of the foods I so dearly missed. And I nearly scorch my mouth with the steaming liquid but I don't mind. I reach for an oatcake, drag it through honey and jam, and stuff it into my mouth.

The night has been exhausting; an adrenalin rush of fear, excitement and challenge. It feels too surreal being here. Something I've been longing and planning for now for so long that I'm finding it hard to believe has actually happened. It seems more like a dream than reality.

Finally with the comfort of hot tea and sustenance I begin to relax. I set my cup back onto the tray after having refilled it three times and brush my hands down the front of my T-shirt--Heather's T-shirt--and wince at the scrapes on my palms. I recall the bright green sprout that grew at my touch and my pulse quickens. The land knows. The land knows its queen has returned. Memories then, of another time the land responded with blooms play in my mind. I feel a blush creep down my neck but I quickly squash those feelings down by recalling Cardan mocking me in front of court.

"All right, father," I stand abruptly, now pulsing with renewed anger toward Cardan, "we are here now, let's hear this plan of yours. And let's start at the part where you convince me that once you get what you want out of this--another chance at putting Oak on the throne, I presume--you won't just cast me aside. So what is your bargain?"

"While I am impressed that you have gone and made yourself Queen of Faerie," Madoc begins, standing as well and clearing his throat for effect, "we both know that, as a mere mortal and one already in ill-favor, you won't be...shall we say, well received. Especially after we move against Cardan for the crown. So the obvious choice is to set all that aside and put Oak in his rightful place. I, in return swear to not discard of you." He places a heavy hand on my shoulder and levels his gaze with mine, "I will make you General in my stead as I will become regent. This is what you've worked so hard for. Your dream of knighthood is nigh and better yet--as General you will have the entire guard to command."