5. Quick break

Sam

I hadn't said anything, but I was happy we had stopped for a break, even if it is a brief one. I needed to stretch my legs, and use the potty. I could use a drink of water at this point as well, but I could take or leave it.

Harry had said we should fill up on gas while stopped. He just looked around, then rubbed the back of his neck, like he wanted to say something but hesitated. So I spoke up... "Harry, is something wrong?"

"No, I was just thinking, uh if you want we can stop for the day. Ya know get some rest, stretch out and maybe see about finding a hot meal and a place to shower. Then head out in the morning to wherever we end up at, how does that sound?"

"Oh..uh that's fine, but how do you want to work this? I mean I don't have much money, but I can stay here at the park and see you in the morning"

Harry bursted out laughing. It was a joyous sound coming from him. He said "are you crazy, I'm not letting you hang in a park. We can say we're a couple and need a room, c'mon, it'll be fine. I'll be good, I gotta start sometime"

He took my hand leading me towards a small motel he had spotted. His hand was very big, but warm. It made me feel comfortable, not that I wasn't around him. He approached the desk asking for a room for the night. The girl at the desk started eyeing him, he cleared his throat and said "oh, uh sorry, for me and my beautiful girlfriend here" He then wrapped an arm around my waist "right babe" then kissed my cheek. I just shook my head.

The girl said "ok then, one bed, room 15. Here you go" handing us the key.

We got to the room, I turned to Harry and said "what the hell was all that?"

"I didn't like her eyeing me for one. Second I wanted to and it got us the room"

"Harry, you can't just do things like that. I mean yes, we were pretending, but I'm not actually your girlfriend"

"Fine, whatever Sam. I know I'm the bad one here. I won't touch you ok. Do you need to use the restroom before I go shower? I can't bother you doing that can I?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact I do. And Harry there's no need to be like that, you're not the bad one. If we are going to be friends and help one another, you've gotta stop with that" I stomped into the bathroom.

Once I came out, Harry was already waiting to go in. He then said "do you wish to go find something to eat? Are you going to shower as well?"

"I'd love to shower, and yes it would be nice to go out even if we just have pizza. Thank you"

"No problem Sam"

The whole time Harry was in the shower, I just thought, I just don't get this guy. He's nothing like Brad. Brad...now he was bad news, but I needed more and to get away from that place. I gently rub my side of the memory. I just can't go back.
Before I knew it Harry was returning from his shower and smiling. I just headed to take mine.

Harry

The shower felt good. I just couldn't help though to think how Sam would look standing in there with me, water running over the both of us. What has this one girl from who the hell knows done to me? She makes me crazy, but makes me feel stronger like I can get better at the same time. As long as she's with me I think I can do this, but how long before she will want to go back 'home' will she want to take me with her? Will I last on my own? She tests me in ways I never even thought of before. Before I only wanted be be alone, until she arrived...now I just want her near me, I think she's what I've needed. I know it sounds crazy, but from the moment she called out to me, I felt some pull, some kind of connection and I don't want to lose it.