Chapter 31- E.L._.O

A/N: Drug use as well as alcohol abuse is mentioned in this chapter. I hope you all are staying safe and healthy! Have an amazing weekend! Also I totally thought the missing letter was going to be a M instead of a K for this episode lol. So I thought it was Elmo. I don't know why I thought that but it's literally the only letter I thought could go there before I watched the episode.

-Brittany

****************************************

Chapter 31

Dick's POV

I was now in solitary confinement since I helped the other two escape. I had been here for a day and had already caught some sort of flu. I laid in my bed sweating as I tossed and turned trying to fall asleep. I felt the chills go over my body and pulled up the single scratchy blanket I had over my shoulders. Suddenly there was a bright light, I opened my eyes and saw.....Bruce? I sighed, I'm imagining him again.

He started talking "Somebody's caught a bug. Bad news." I shook my head "Fuck. I'm alone. I'm alone." He nodded "Yeah. I see that. Blessed isolation. You have arrived. The penance palace. But you brought a virus with you, or perhaps the rat did. Prisons are harbors of pestilence. It's no surprise you fell prey." I turned to the other side of my bed trying to ignore him "I just need to sleep-" He continued "Sleeping is all you've been doing. It's time to wake up." I sighed "And to stop talking to myself."

He got louder "You've done a lot of talking lately. To Jericho's mother and then Slade." I shook my head and started counting "One sheep, two sheep." Bruce scoffed at me "Yeah, that always works. So, you go to Adeline's house and she tells you to fuck off and then she does a very curious thing. She says, if it's forgiveness you want, you should try in there." I sighed and looked at him "What do you want?" He sat at the end of my bed "Well I get hung up on this Adeline shit. She sent you in to talk to a man who wants to kill you." I shook my head "They have their own arrangement. I'm not a marriage counselor."

He continued "Seemed like she wanted your help. They might feel differently. When she sent you in there that's what she said." I shrugged it off "She wasn't thinking straight. I reminded her of what she lost." I kept tossing and turning till I finally laid on my back. Bruce came and loomed over me "Jericho." I thought about him "Jericho." Bruce nodded "You're missing something, son."

I closed my eyes and fell asleep for a few hours until something startled me awake. I sat up and looked and saw Bruce standing there, he sighed "Special kid that Jericho. He had special abilities. Those kind of kids need special attention." I nodded "I gave him plenty. It's what got him killed." I sighed as he continued "So you've said, ad nauseam. But maybe you're wrong. Maybe you haven't given him enough. You know, when I have a fever I like to lay on the cold floor. It drops the body temp and clarifies the mind."