this is just a friendly date, isn't it?

word count;888

word count;888

Benedict and I immediately ran at full blast to the cotton candy booth.
Cotton candy was a common interest of ours, it was what brought us together. As friends, of course.

Flashback
__ Sunday, 13 September 2008

"Great. My tinder date has once again stood me up, just great," I muttered under my breath as I packed my things and left the cafe. Irritatedly, might I add.
I took out my phone and checked

Sunday,13 September

6:34

Sunday, day of the fair.

I thought for about a minute or so. Might as well. I let my feet lead the way to the fair that I was close to familiar with.

I took the time to take the scenery in.
Children and their parents laughing; group of friends taking pictures here and there; others trying out the booths that are 80% rigged and my favourite booth of all time, the cotton candy booth. Dismissing any hesitation, I bolted to the booth.
Only for a body to collide into me.

"Bloody hell, that hurts," I mumbled, not knowing the person that bumped into me heard what I'd said.

"Dear heavens, I apologize. I wasn't paying attention to where I was heading."

I looked up and saw a guy around my age. His hair slicked back, with black roots and blonde throughout. Eyes as blue as the ocean and I could shape his body out with the fitted shirt he was wearing.

He reached out his hand to me offering a kind smile, showing his deep dimples. I took it and almost instantly, I felt bolts of electricity run through me. Classic I know, but that was the way I was feeling. His warm and soft hands held my own and on that very moment, I felt as if we were destined to meet each other.

"Look,I am really sorry. I hope I didn't do any serious damage to you."

"No no, you're good. I'm good, I wasn't paying attention either anyways," I responded.

He chuckled and continued,

"Well my name's Benedict Anderson, full name basis, I know. But, you can call me Ben, what's yours?"

"Hastings. Katherine Hastings,"

"That's a pretty name for a pretty girl, ain't it now. Where ya heading to?"

I felt myself blush but remained composed and answered,

"Well before we crashed into each other, I was just making my way to the cotton candy booth. I love cotton candy, just a little heads up for ya."

"Cotton candy? I love cotton candy as well. Tell you what, how about we go get some and maybe escalate this friendship I hope we're having?"

I pondered for a while and replied,

"That'll be awesome, I won't be alone then."

End Of Flashback
__

5 years of friendship and yet I'm still unable to get the guy, I know-

"Katherine!" Ben called out to me

I snapped back to reality and stared blankly at him.

"What?"

His eyes shot me a look in disbelief.

"What? What do you mean 'What'? You've been stoning for approximately 3 minutes. I asked you what flavour you wanted but you just kept pointing fingers up in the air so I just got you the same flavour as I did."

I blushed in embarrassment upon hearing what Ben said.

"Sorry, I was just thinking about our first encounter with each other. This exact booth was what bonded us together, wasn't it?"

He looked to the booth then back to me before replying,

"It sure did, I met a really wonderful girl here. What was her name? Jessica?"

I gave him a playful glare and punched him softly on his shoulders.

"Oh piss off would ya, Ben."

"Relax I was kidding, let's go off to the rides before the time's over, yeah?"

I nodded and took his hands, intertwining them as I pulled him with me to a rollercoaster which pleases my eye.
________
[Time skip || 3 hours]
   [17:57]

"So, did you have fun?" Ben asked after our laughters died down.

"You're really asking me that, of course I had fun,"

"Put some ice up yer' arse would ya, it was just a question."

I laughed at him and flipped him off. We wandered off to a hill where the view of the fair was crystal clear. We flopped down to the ground and a sigh left my mouth.

"This is nice. Just two friends hanging out. We'll go out again during your break, yeah? Another friendly date. This is just a friendly date, right?"

"Uh yeah, of course, just a friendly date." I responded.

I looked the other way, tears blinding my eyes. I quickly wiped them away, before he could notice. I picked myself up and fixed myself.

"What's wrong? Did I do anything?"

"No, no. It's just, it's getting late. I need to be back. I-I'll see you next time, your place. Goodbye."

"Wait Kath-"

I left as soon as possible, without letting him continue his converse. Before I knew it, I was already crying a river.

It just hurts, y'know. Loving someone for 5 years without him reciprocating the feeling.He knows how I feel. But every time I tell him about my feelings, he'd always tell me the same thing over and over again.

"I can't do that to you Katherine, you know I don't do relationships. You know that, right? C'mon, don't make this hard for me Kath. You're my best friend."

Best friend, that's all I'll ever be to him.

I made my way back to the estate,