5.

I drove crazily like a mad woman towards his office. I don't know where the new found confidence suddenly arrived from but I'm hell bent on setting things right between us.

I parked my car quickly and rushed into the building. The secretary tried to stop me as I ran past her

"Stop madam. You can't go in there" but she was already too late as I opened the door. I felt my entire energy and confidence drained from my body at the sight before me. In front of me was Ash kissing another girl.

"I'm sorry sir, I tried to stop her" Carol (his secretary) spoke up

"It's ok Carol. You can go back to your desk" I still stood there shocked. My feet felt glued to the ground and I couldn't move as I stared at them. She was very pretty with the longest legs I've ever seen. In fact she looks like a model.

"Dawn, is there something you need?" Ash asked. I looked up at his eyes to try and find any emotions but all I saw was emptiness.

"N..no sorry" I muttered softly and turned to leave with my broken heart but the girl spoke up

"Wait" I turned slowly, trying to keep my tears at bay "babe aren't you going to introduce us?" I looked at Ash and he averted his eyes from mine

"Um... Dawn this is Kayla Hemsworth, my gi.. girlfriend" my breath hitched in my throat "Kayla, this is Dawn....my cousin" hearing him refer to me as his cousin hurt more when he introduced this girl as his girlfriend. I mean I'm his cousin but, I can't help feel like all hope is lost when he said it.

"Hi, it's nice meeting...." She tried shaking my hands but I couldn't bare the pain I was feeling any longer so I ran out of the office.

I drove straight home, feeling emotionally drained and disoriented. I didn't bother taking a bath as I collapsed on the bed and cried myself to sleep.

ASH'S POV:

After the meeting today and lunch with Dawn, I couldn't help reminiscing the moments she and I shared when we were younger.

I couldn't help but wonder what would have become of our lives if we hadn't broken up years ago. Sigh. Well it's too late for 'what if's', she decided she was happier without me.

A knock on the door interrupted my train of thoughts. My secretary came in shortly "sorry to disturb you sir but, there's a lady looking for you"

"Who is it?" I don't remember expecting anyone. Could it be my sister?

"She said her name is Miss Hemsworth" my face instantly brightened up

"Send her in" I smiled thinking about Kayla. She and I became close friends during my stay in London. She along with Charlie were the ones who helped me through my difficult times. We grew quite close to each other and eventually started dating. We've been together for two years now and surprisingly, she's here.

"Hey" she appeared with a wide grin in front of my door looking beautiful as ever in her knee length black dress.

"Hey. You didn't tell me you were coming, I could have come pick you at the airport" we hugged each other

"I know you'd be busy which is probably why you haven't called since you left so I didn't want to disturb you plus, I wanted to surprise you" she smiled

"Well I love your surprise. I missed you and I'm sorry for not calling" I smiled as she wrapped her arms around my neck and I did same to her waist

"Aw...I missed you too" she whispered before uniting our lips. I was taken aback but relaxed a little. This was because during our two years of dating, we barely go further than hugging, holding hands or cuddling each other and being the best girlfriend, she understands I want to take things slow. We recently started kissing few months before I came back. I was getting lost in the kiss until dawn barged into my office, panting hysterically.

Her face immediately turned pale and her eyes bulged out in surprise and for some reason, I felt like I was caught doing something wrong. When Kayla asked to introduce both of them, I could see the hurt flash in Dawn's eyes but it wasn't compared to the look on her face when I introduced her as my cousin. She looked broken. I wanted so much to pull her into my arms and reassure her that she was more than that but, it's not that simple. That's all she is to me at the moment

I felt a gut wrenching feeling in the pit of my stomach when a tear slipped her eye. It took a lot of restraint for me not to run after her when she ran out of my office. Why? Why do I still feel this way when I see her in pain. She was the one who broke up with me and said she doesn't love me anymore. Gosh this is so confusing.

"You still love her, don't you?" Kayla's voice brought me out of my train of thoughts

"What? No. Of course not"  she turned to move away from me but I held her back

"Stop trying to deny it, your demeanor changed the moment she walked in, not to mention the way you clenched your fist when her eyes got teary" I shook my head in disagreement and pulled her closer

"I admit there was a time I loved her more than anyone in the world, she was my everything, my reason for existence but that's in the past now. She's my past. I don't have feelings for her anymore. You...you are the one I love now" I tried convincing her but, with every word I uttered, it felt like I was actually trying to convince myself. Is Dawn really nothing more than a cousin to me? Are my feelings for her really gone?

"I hope so" she said looking down at our joined hands sadly. I used my free hand to tilt her chin and kiss away her doubts.
(End of Ash's POV)

********
I ran as fast as I could and got into my car. I locked the door and broke down. My entire body was shaking from the pain I was feeling right now

What was I thinking anyway?

That everything will be fine and we'll be together again?

I'm such a fool. I wiped my tears and gathered what's left of me and drove away from the parking lot.

*********************
So!!! Finally decided to update 🙈🙈🙈
I know, I'm so sorry for the delay. Alongside my new project (Queen of Hearts), I'll try to update both frequently.