A Not So Simple Beginning

"(Y/N) (L/N), Erudite!"

My heart started hammering against my ribs as though it wanted to escape. I glanced to my parents and they replied with proud smiles. They dropped their grip on my sweating palms and I slowly rose out of my chair. I awkwardly squished past the two people besides my mother to get to the end of the seating.

With steady paces, I stood in front of the five concrete basins representing the factions. Abnegation, Amity, Candor, Dauntless and Erudite.
My gaze swept over every single one. This one decision I make I'm the next thirty seconds will determine my entire future.

I glanced upon them one last time but this time, I felt a strange force about Dauntless. Like something was pulling me toward it. I reached for the knife and with shaking hands, sliced my palm. I resisted the urge to wince and felt sweat collide with blood at the site of the wound. I made my way to the coals of Dauntless. My hand hovered motionless for a few moments before I clenched my hand. My blood dripped and sizzled on the burning coals.

"Dauntless!" The entirety of said faction erupted in cheers and a small grin made its way to my face. I walked over to the first row and I was greeted with big, confident smiles and pats on the back. The boy sitting on my right to was quite attractive. He had a tall, well-built figure and a gorgeous shade of coffee- brown skin. He had eyes that looked like healthy, freshly watered fertiliser. He turned to me and smiled charmingly.

"Apollo Rivi, Amity. Welcome to Dauntless," He greeted and I grinned.

"Nice to meet you. I'm guessing you already know who I am," I chucked and he nodded, roughing up his messy brown hair. He stretched out his arms and accidentally hit the girl next to him. I cringed at her short outburst of pain, preparing to hear Apollo get his ear rambled off. However, she turned to him and laughed, flinging an arm around his neck.

"Watch where you put those arms of yours, you asshat," she chuckled and Apollo giggled.  I raised an eyebrow at the strange interaction.

'Wouldn't they have just met a few minutes ago?' I questioned. Apollo turned his head to me.

"(Y/N), this is Venus Harlow, Candor. Also my cousin!" He chirped. Venus gave you a smirked and reached her arm over Apollo's lap and shook my hand violently.

"Nice to meet ya!" She grinned and you smiled.

"Likewise."
The factions were instructed to settle down and the ceremony resumed.

Once the Choosing Ceremony came to an end, each faction started filing out the door. I pressed down on the bandage that was given to me and I looked toward Mum and Dad. My mother wiped a tear that escaped her eye with her sleeve. Proud smiles still plastered on their faces. I gave them a small wave before I reached the door.

As soon as the faction reached the stairs, they released cheers of excitement. An inevitable feeling of energy burst inside me and I looked toward Apollo and Venus who had looks of determination. I smirked at them and jumped the last steps. As soon as my feet hit the ground, I broke out into a sprint along with the rest of the faction. Apollo overtook me but Venus struggled behind. I slowed my pacing and gripped her hand.

"Thanks," She breathed out and I replied with a small smile. The front portion of the group came to a halt and before I even had time to ask questions, they were answered. People started scaling the poles holding up a train track. I shifted my gaze to Venus and looked at her with wide eyes.