Tension

Soul walked through the empty halls of the academy. With lunch underway, there was almost no reason for a student to be back there. Every place that he checked, the bathrooms, Stein's room, even in the hall by the Death Room... Kid was nowhere to be found. He was starting to wonder if Kid went home again.

Soul left out the DWMA entrance and toward the top of the mega-staircase. He needed some air after everything, and his mind needed some silence to clear itself, reset, find a different point of view. As he looked out for miles he saw the desert that was just outside the city limits. The wind blew through his hair, even as it was held back by his headband.

In that moment, he felt the world around him and it helped to quiet his nerves. Maka, the dance... Kid, it all faded away even if only temporarily, and he focused on himself.

That was until his gaze pointed downward, where Kid sat about 10 steps down. The white haired boy trekked down until he was on the same level as him. He sat down beside him casually, and if they'd been indoors, Kid would've jumped through the ceiling.

Soul made a face as the front of his shirt was taken a hold of and he was nearly hurled down the stairs. Kid had indeed been startled and grabbed him on reflex. Meister problems were real.

" Soul!" Kid gasped. " Don't sneak up on me like that!" He slowly let go of his jacket, realizing that there was no threat of an enemy around.

" Oops." Soul laughed, leaning back on his palms. Kid breathed out loudly.

" Hi." The reaper said awkwardly, sitting up straight and letting his palms rest in his lap.

" Why didn't you come to lunch?" Soul asked. He was unaware but he had scooted closer to Kid and the one foot gap between them had shrunk slightly. The boy next to him got red in the face.

" Why did you come to find me?" Kid asked back in an attempt to flirt. He was gradually gravitating toward Soul and didn't even realize. They both smiled slightly.

" I was hoping to talk to you."

Now why would you want to do something like that?

" About what?" Kid asked.

" About this morning."

Kid blushed even more.

" You have a hard forehead, you know that?" Soul laughed and Kid stifled his embarrassment.

" Be quiet. Your chest is rock solid." He folded his arms and retorted.

" That's not even an insult." Soul laughed even more at Kid's innocence, well, sort of. " Thanks, I try."

Their fingertips were twitching towards one another in the most subtle of ways. Each of them was able to recognize the tension present between them, but neither boy would act on it. As their eyes met, there was a juvenile-ness to it. Kid felt his heart speed up, his mind race, and he even began to shake slightly from nerves. It was hard to notice beneath all of his black clothing, however.

" But there was actually something I wanted to talk to you about."

" W-what?" Kid was getting anxious being so close with Soul. It didn't matter that there was plenty of space, or what could at least be considered personal space, it was closer proximity than he was used to. Even though they could all link their souls together and resonate, Kid felt like he'd never been closer to Soul and Soul alone.

" Did you feel it, too?" Soul asked, being serious for once.

" You mean the bruise starting to form upon impact?" Kid replied smartly. He was only half joking. Soul's chest was hard, and he'd rammed his forehead into it.