Animal Instinct

Summary: Scott and Kira are mates

---

Scott doesn't remember exactly what happened.

One minute he and Stiles were goofing around in the school hallway, and the next he's in Grayson Tillman's face because he had gotten a little too close to Kira.

Now Scott knows that Kira can handle herself just fine. She does so every time she faces down yet another person that's threatening the safety of Beacon Hills.

And usually when a guy comes up to Kira, which happens a lot more than it should since everyone knows Scott and Kira are together but that's beside the point, Scott lets her handle it. He's not jealous or possessive. He trusts Kira and knows that she loves him. He knows that she will turn away the guys (and girls) that approach her.

But for some reason, that hadn't happened this time.

He gently pulls Kira away from Grayson, steps in between the two, and growls. 

He growls. 

He can't believe it either.

He's almost certain that his eyes had changed color but he isn't entirely sure since he was so blinded by irrational rage. The only reason Scott had calmed was because Kira intercepted the boys with her body, grabbed Scott's face in her hands and stated his name.

Grayson runs off but Scott doesn't pay attention, too focused on his girlfriend. He apologizes profusely and Kira just rolls her eyes affectionately, pressing a chaste kiss to his lips and the situation is forgotten. Scott suspects it's a one-time thing.

He's wrong.

The next several days find him acting unlike himself when it came to his girlfriend.

A faery had nearly beheaded Kira, causing Scott to nearly behead the faery in return.

Kira was dissatisfied with a meal she had had when she had gone out for dinner with Lydia, resulting in Scott nearly going to the restaurant to file a formal complaint.

The Pack would go around making goodnatured teases at one another but if the first syllable of Kira's name was so much as uttered Scott would shut it down through his Alpha status.

And of course, the rage he had felt towards Grayson would occur whenever someone so much as glanced at Kira in interest.

It had all come to a head at Kira's house one evening.

Mr. and Mrs. Yukimura were on a date night, celebrating their 20-year wedding anniversary. Due to this, Scott and Kira had decided to have a study date. It had started off innocently enough with the two actually getting work done in their respective classes. When the couple had begun working on their Calculus homework together, however, they had become distracted.

Their math problems were discarded to the ground as they connected lips, the kiss becoming stronger by the second. Scott guided Kira onto his lap, her legs straddling either side of him, her hands in his hair, his hands on her ass. Scott had separated from her lips, kissing his way down to her neck, inhaling her scent as he did so. 

Mate.

Scott paused causing Kira to pull her head back, her eyes meeting his.

"What's wrong?" she asked. 

Scott sat there for a second but shrugged it off, placing an easy smile onto his face, "Nothing."

He pulled her back in, their lips moving in sync with each other. 

Mate.

Scott startled once more, "Actually, I just remembered Mom wanted me home for dinner. I have to go."