Cold Justice

I adjust myself on the harsh metal chair as the door opened, I had been waiting in this room for about an hour.  An officer comes in with a file and flashes a fake smile towards me. He drags his chair closer to sit down and annoying sound rips through the silent room. Coming here, I thought we were just going to sit at one of their desks for a couple of minutes and fill out paperwork. Instead, they separated me and Felix and left us in the room, I'm pretty sure they were watching behind the glass. 

Hello Brianna, my name is officer Hill, how are you today?" I leaned forward onto the table, my warm skin coming in contact with the cool metal table. 

"Why am I here?"

"Were just going to ask you a couple of questions."

"But why am I in here?" I leaned on my elbows as I made sure to show how annoyed I was. 

"This is in regards to someone you used to employ, Nicole Howard." 

"And you couldn't ask me this at The Center?" Being here wasn't necessary and I was starting to lose my patience. I don't know if they were trying to scare me, maybe they think I know what happened to her. 

"We wanted to talk somewhere private." He gave me another fake smile and I had to fight the urge to roll my eyes. 

"My office would have been fine. All I know is Nicole was murdered and was last seen at The Center before driving off. That is all I know." I spat as I stood up, I was beyond annoyed. I know they wanted to get answers but this was extreme. Bringing us here, especially in these rooms, made it seem like we were guilty of something. Doing this is not only wasting their time but mine as well. I had a lot of work to do at The Center so I was stressed out. And with all the time I've been here, I definitely missed the meeting, making it even more infuriating. I was already behind schedule but now I'd have to come in early in the morning before work to catch up.

"Where are you going?" He stood up as I walked out of the door and into the hallway. I walked towards the room that I saw they put Felix in. 

"Back to The Center, you can't hold me here. If you want to talk more about this I'd be happy too. Please stop by my office anytime but Felix and I have to go." I walk in the room to see Felix already looking at me. He must have heard my voice from the hallway. "Now if you'll excuse us, officer Hill, we have important matters to attend to." I motion Felix to follow me and we walk halfway down the hallway before I feel a firm grip on my wrist. I turn to see the officer staring me down, Felix gets in between trying to break the tension.

"Rest assured that I will be visiting with both of you real soon. I will find who did this and justice will be served."

"Let go of me, now." He slowly let go and I quickly ripped my wrist from his grip.

"Officer Hill? As in the young woman who was killed by the murder?" Felix questioned as he pulled me towards him. Other people's stares had landed on us and I tried my best not to make eye contact. Officer Hill stayed silent and Felix nodded his head towards him. "I understand why you want justice but perhaps you being on the case isn't the best idea. I'm sure you have the right idea but getting physical with someone who has done nothing wrong is not right. 'Rest assured' we will tell others about how incompetent you are to work this case." Felix puts his hand on my back and walks with me to the front. He tells me to wait outside as he was calling an uber and talking to one of the sheriffs about what happened. 

I wait outside and minutes later a white car pulls by, I look back at Felix but see he's still talking. I wave to get his attention and he looks up to me and smiles. He wraps up the conversation and soon gets in the car with me. In the corner of my eye, I see officer Hill walk outside and stare at us as we drive away.