Chapter 6: The carnage before new dawn

He leaned back against the wooden wall with a small thud, mouth slightly parted to let out hot, shaky breathes as his violet eyes stared blankly at the empty space next to where he slept. He felt his eyes burning, droplets of salty tears formed at the corner of his eyes, blurring his vision, allowing his mind to conjure the images, memories of that man, his companion. Tuck into his chest in his hands was a small hair tie made from strands of leathery material that shone metallic white when light hits it, adorned with two small violet gemstones chiseled into small orbs taken from the bracelet that was nowhere to be found. He sobbed, confused and tormented by the emotions and thoughts in his head.

It was a parting gift, by destroying the bracelet, Quetz has essentially cut all ties with him, by creating this new gift, the man has given him a chance to start a new life. A life without him. The teen bit his lip, reasons let him know why the man left, but his heart wouldn't understand, no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't understand.

- Haru? - The voice of his sister pulled the boy from his thoughts, wet violet eyes glistened in the weak light of the early dawn, looking at a concerned Mitsuki who's making her way toward him. - What's wrong? - She asked, wrapping her arms around the smaller boy and pulled him into her chest.

- He...left... - Haru whispered shakily through bitten lips, clinging against his sister for comfort.

- O-oh...I...see. - Mitsuki was taken aback, knowing full well who his brother was preferring to but unable to do anything to comfort the boy. - D-don't be sad, you still have us right?

Her question was met with silence, Haru didn't want to reply, or rather he couldn't, all of his strength was spent holding in the anguish wails of anger and sadness. The white haired boy buried his face into Mitsuki's shoulder like a lost child, for he was only a child and indeed he was lost. The girl sighed, expecting tears to soak her shirt, but there was non, instead she felt the weak, shaky breaths of her brother against her skin. He was defeated and exhausted, barely having the strength to lift his head, so Mitsuki let him rest against her, rough yet gentle fingers combing his snowy white hair as she sang him a lullaby to comfort his heart.

- Mitsuki-nee? - The white haired boy called out weakly.

- Yes? - The older girl asked, her hand still resting on her brother's head as he pulled himself from her shoulder.

- Mitsuki-nee, please tell me... - The boy grabbed his sister's wrist, voice choked with uncertainty and fear. He didn't know how to put it, nor did he know how his sister would react to what he wanted to say, he only knew that it has to be said, she has to know. Grinding his teeth together, Haru tried his best to still his mind, to find the suitable words to tell Mitsuki. - Please tell me! - He shrieked quietly out of frustration, before his voice dimmed into a whisper. - What if I want to go with Keto-san?

Horror spread across the white haired boy's face, seeing Mitsuki's expressions darkened as she considered his question. He pushed himself against the wall, as far from her as possible before curling up and burying his face into his arms, mumbling inaudible apologies under his breaths. What was he thinking? Asking her something like that, the one of the only two people who treated him like an actual human being. Haru was being selfish, that much he knew, after all those years of them taking care of him, he still consider leaving them to follow a stranger who forsook him when he was just an infant.

The white haired boy sat silently, waiting for a slap, a yell, a disgruntled sigh, something, anything to come from his sister to show him her disapproval. He was sure she was upset, that she's angry at him for this betrayal, paranoia gripped at his heart with its talons, filling his mind with visions of what to come. Yet it never came, at least not the bad things that Haru's imagined. Instead of a slap, a warm, gentle hand was put on his head, shakily caressing his hair. The white haired boy could feel it coursing through him, his sister's emotions, her anxiety, her doubt and fear. She was just as torn as he was.