Chapter Twenty Two

-Chapter TwentyTwo-

Kendal's POV

I gulped for air to cool down my burning lungs as I took wobbly steps towards Chason. He was staring at me with such hatred in his cold, black eyes that my heart pounded and ached from him rather than from the running.

I was never a good runner, but when I saw Chason book it up the hill by himself- I knew this would be the perfect chance to talk to him alone. And if something did happen- like him trying to kill me- then there are people close enough around to hear my screaming. But only if it comes to that. Which it won't.

I coughed to clear my burning throat as I was now half way to him. "Chason, I-"

"Get the Hell out of here and leave me the Fuck alone." His low voice rang high in my ears and I cringed taking a few steps backwards.

I took a deep breath and tried again, "But Cha-"

He stood up and took just one step towards me. His hands were clasped tightly in front of him with a rigid stance and nostrils flared as if he was exhaling fire. "But Crap. I don't want to hear anything from you about anything. You will address me as your Alpha and that only, no first name crap like we are friends or Heaven forbid... mates." He took another powering step towards me.

I grasped my neck as it felt like someone was blocking off my airways. My arms then fell to my side as my knees gave out on me and I fell hard onto the mushy ground in front of me. My head hung down loosely as I tried to steady my breathing once again.

I stood back up slowly taking my time. My skin was covered with goose bumps as I matched my gaze with Chason's never blinking scowl. "No."

"No?" He questioned back with annoyance clear in his voice, "NO!?" He questioned more fiercely this time. He began taking threatening steps towards me, but I had to hold my ground. I was the White Wolf God Damn' it, he should fear me!

"Yeah, no." I told him casually, but this was all but casual.

His left eye twitched as he was now a foot away staring down at me, "Why?" He asked all of a sudden a little softer this time.

"Why what?" I asked a little taken aback. I was ready for him to back hand me or yell in my face about him being my Alpha.

"Why?" He repeated his question as his eyes shifted from me to the ground while taking a few retreating steps from me.

My stomach dropped as I realized what he was asking why to. Why I didn't tell him we were mates. Why I rejected him as my mate.

I shrugged as I rubbed my cold arms despite the hot, humid air surrounding me. "Why?" I asked myself softly. I inhaled deeply, "I don't know." I shook my head, "I don't know why."

His gaze swept back towards me, this time darker and much more intense, "Liar!" He spat. "Fuck Kendal!" He twisted his fingers through his hair as he paced around, "I know I was a horrible person towards you! I know that, and there wasn't a second that went by that I wish I could have changed it."