Chapter 15: Their new home

"Drop the couch and you're dead Baywatch" Artemis warns her husband as they move the heavy couch to it's place, the last piece of furniture they have to place that was circled "Remind me again why we don't have a TV" Sapphire asks "Cause I don't have any money to buy one, kinda like how I can't buy a bed for Jake, which sucks" Amber says "Might have to sell my laptop" "It's fine mom!" Jake says quickly "I'll share one with Sapphire until then" "B-but it's a bed for one person" Amber says letting herself fall on the chair, it was frustrating she couldn't buy everything, all because she has a bad paying job. "Wally, Artemis, when you're finished help me out down here!" Dick yells "Please don't tell me he got a TV" Amber mumbles with a tired sigh. "Mom, can I borrow your laptop for homework? Bruce won't let me use his computer" Jake asks "Yeah sure, whatever" she says.

Jake however already finished his homework and hands the laptop to Alfred at the manor "And it's send" the butler says after an hour, making Barbara look up confused "Those books she wrote, but never finished because things went to hell with master Richard" he explains "Yeah, what about them?" "Alfred here contacted a publisher and he agreed to publish them for mom after reading it" Jake says "Which is why I borrowed her laptop".

When Amber gets a package three days later she just stares at the contents confused "Honey what's wrong?" Dick asks and he sees the book "I don't get it, I never contacted-" "I know" he says "Maybe one of the kids can explain this... 'Time traveling detectives' mystery for us" "I think I understand" Amber says flipping through the pages "Jake needed my laptop for homework, he does he homework at Wayne manor, I think he and Alfred plotted this" "So why aren't you happy?" Sapphire asks, limping slightly as she walks in "No one will read it anyway, it's a stupid idea" Amber says "Besides, I have to go get to work now, take care". Jake finds the book on the lowest place in the entire shelf "More packages for mom" he says adding three more books to the collection "Wait doesn't she work at the book store a few streets away?" Dick asks earning two nods "Guess she's gonna get a surprise, also what go you guys want for dinner?" "Alfred's stew" Jake says "Anything is fine" Sapphire says with a shrug as she makes her homework, she went to a school in Bludhaven while her brother went to Gotham Academy "Anything?" Jake asks "How do you survive that? Not eating Alfred's cooking" "Not living there" Sapphire counters coolly "Good point" Jake says "Pizza it is" Dick says with a sigh as he takes his phone from his pocket.

Amber stares at the books in the box, carefully taking them and turning them around "Those idiots" she mumbles, her book about when the League was brainwashed, the 'Red attack', her 'Time traveling detective Dracula's revange' and her unedited version of 'Heroes farewell' "They arrived, great!" her boss says seeing Amber flip through the fourth one "Great?" she asks, figuring Alfred must have edited it for her "Yes great, whoever the author is should've send them to a publisher soo- Amber, what's your last name?" "Midnight" she answers "Well it's Grayson now, officially, why?" "You wrote them?" "Uh... maybe?", Amber walks backwards when her boss walks forwards with a grin on his face "Do you have any idea how hard it is to gets your work published by this guy?" "No, it wasn't even supposed to be send to anyone", her back his a shelf and she sighs "What do you want me to do?" "I want you to use this store when you're gonna sign them" "How about you up my paycheck instead?" "Only if you agree~". When Amber comes home she sighs "I'm heading to bed" she says "Already? But you said you'd help with my homework" "Sorry Sapphire, I'm tired, work was a pain", Jake grins "I'll help you, this should be easy" he says "It is, if your brain isn't melting" Sapphire comments dryly. Because Amber earned more money now, she had made her boss swear not to tell anyone Sapphire is surprised to see a TV in the living room "It's a second hand TV, barely able to buy it" she says "Okay... anyway, can't you make a new bed and give mine to Jake?" "I could if I have the right material" Amber says putting batteries in the remote "Richard Grayson, why are you carrying that?" she adds "Oh this? For some reason Jason gave it to me, told me it's for the house" Dick says "You're paying the next rent" she deadpans walking to the kitchen to cook dinner "Can we go out for dinner please?" Jake asks, barely even inside "No, your mother's cooking" Dick says "In that case, maybe I can eat at the manor" "Jake Silverster Grayson" Amber says making the boy freeze in fear, no one ever used his second name, unless he's in trouble, like now "You are not going anywhere until you've had your dinner and finished it" she says "But I promised Barry-" "Cancel!", Sapphire calmly gets up, stretches her legs from sitting on the ground and she asks "What are you making?" "Stew, my stew" Amber says "Tie your brother to a chair will ya" "Won't work" Sapphire says "He's already gone" "He won't be for long" Amber says "Yes thank you Alfred, yeah, alright, if that'll work, you're making stew as well, good, here's the plan". So after having Sapphire run to the store to get the last groceries Amber and Alfred exchange stew recipies "Alright Sapphire, you're in luck" Dick says "Since your brother's so set on eating stew made by Alfred he'll be making it different then usual and Amber's making the stew how he usually makes it", Sapphire looks at her parents "Have I ever told you that you two are brilliant?" "Many time" Amber comments "Can someone set the table?".

Jake already thinks it tastes different, but he isn't sure until Bruce asks "Alfred, did you change the recipie?" "I didn't master Bruce" Alfred says "Then why did you make it different then usual?" Barbara asks "Young master Grayson refuses to eat dinner when miss Amber is cooking" the butler says "Your point being?" Jason asks "Miss Amber and I exchanged recipies, although I must say that it tasted very good when made like this, despite the fact you use less ingredients". Bruce looks at Jake, who's looking down, emberassed "Jake, I know you're used to the easy life where you don't have to do anything, but Amber isn't rich, she has to be careful how she spends her money, who pays when you guys order something?" "Dad does, he usually orders anyway, mostly after looking through the entire kitchen for dinner ideas", he realizes what Bruce is trying to say and he sighs "I guess I have a lot to learn from Sapphire" "Yes you do" Jason says "Although I imagine she'll still say Amber's stew is the best after tasting Alfred's, no offense though" "None taken master Jason".