INTRODUCTION

THE NEWSPAPER WAS CLUTCHED BETWEEN her fathers large fingers. The air was filled with the sweet scent of coffee, but there was also a tenseness to the air.

"I can't believe this!" Her father exclaims, rubbing his wrinkled forehead roughly. He pulls the paper from his face and looks at his wife. "Another girl missing this week!"

She sat in front of her buttered toast and her hardboiled eggs sat untouched in the coffee air.

"Another one?" Her mother exclaims, her voice raising a pitch. "Why won't the sheriff do anything about it?"

The girl curiously peers over the newspaper when her dad is distracted with his wife. What she sees is almost enough to make her throw up in her spot.

When she feels the bile building in her throat, she smacks a hand over her mouth and runs out of the room.

She couldn't handle it. She couldn't handle it.

"Rachel," Her mother coos, coming into the bathroom and shutting the door behind her. Rachel's mother grabs her hair and pulls it out of her face so her breakfast doesn't get tangled in it.

"Oh Rachel." Her mother rubs small circles on her back, Rachel's head still over the toilet. "I know how close you and Lucy were."

Lucy Holly was a beautiful pale woman with gorgeous light blonde hair and skin porcelain. Lucy never fit in and she was good at acting and talking as if she were from a noir film.

Rachel feels the tears poking at the corner of her eyes, reminding her that she was weak and sensitive.

"I know baby, I know." Her mother says, pulling Rachel into her arms when Rachel begins to sob. She couldn't handle it.

For the past three weeks seven girls were officially declared missing. The past three weeks were the hardest for Rachel because she knew the girls. She knew the girls like the back of her hand.

"Why wasn't it me?" Rachel says between tears.

"Don't say that," Her mother says. "There's still a chance that all of the girls could be found. They might still be alive."

Rachel tried her hardest not to swear at her mother.

"We'll make it through this, Rachel."