Chapter 3- Out of the Storm

[Emilia's POV]

I felt as if I could hardly walk as I shakily stood, closing the window. It was as if my body was made of lead, and at any moment I'd come crashing to the ground and shatter into a million pieces. Even though I had convinced myself that this was everything I could have wanted, it all seemed far too much. Was I ever going to see this dull, beige room ever again? The beaten dresser in the corner? The window's view of the neglected backyard lawn full of scraggly weeds? I really didn't know, and that fact scared me.

I had lived here so long that it's all become farmilliar to me, and the possibility of having that familiarity ripped out of my grasp was the worst part.

Taking a deep breath, I began gathering my things that I would need, leaving behind the larger things that would be unnecessary. All except for the dresser. That was coming with me. It was the proof that I've lived through all the hard times in my life, as if each mark, dent, or scratch had it's own story. Together, they formed my story.

Perhaps I was too sentimental about an old orphanage room, especially considering the fact that some days I would have given anything, endured any pain just to be out of here. Looks like if finally happened, and I was going home with some boy band.

I decided to use the dresser as a suitcase of sorts, shoving all my things into it. It was small and light enough to be portable, something I was grateful for. The main reason I wanted to keep it though, was the second drawer. It had a nearly foolproof false bottom, so I was able to hide the things that were most important to me.

The sound of small, hurried footsteps resounded through the hall, and before I could process it, I saw a farmilliar little face, all welled up with tears.

"Amy!" My voice left my mouth before I could even process it, kneeling down to her height and scooping her up in a huge hug.

I couldn't see her face now, but I felt her tiny body shake with sobs, and all I could do was shush her gently and stroke her hair as I held her close.

"D-Don't leave, Emilia. Please! Don't leave me all alone!" Amy sniffled, her little fingers digging into my back, holding on for dear life, as if I were to disappear at any moment.

Embracing the smaller, I let her softly weep into my shoulder, trying to hold back my own tears. Would I ever see her again? If so, then when? Life in the orphanage could be lonely, something I figured out before I had found Amy to keep me company.

"I have to, sweetheart. I have to. I have no choice. I'll come back for you, so it isn't goodbye." My words wavered, and feeling choked up, I hugged her harder before pulling away and looking at her.

"Love you, Amy. You'll see me again." I smiled sadly, grabbing the small dresser and walking out of the room that I could no longer call my own. I wondered- When another girl inevitably gets my room, would she feel all of my emotions lingering in there? Guess it doesn't matter anyways.

------------------------------------

"Emilia! Why were you so late? These gentlemen have been waiting far too long!" Evelyn's scolding voice pierced through my ears, making me groan. No matter how annoying I was to take care of, shouldn't she show at least a bit of tenderness as I'm leaving?

"Nono, it's fine. She was probably saying goodbye to all her friends, right?" Harry interjected quickly, an almost uncomfortable look taking over his handsome features as he attempted to defend her from the tired caregiver.

Evelyn said nothing, just sighed and shook her head as she walked in my direction. The sound of her heels clicked on the floor, each click making me slightly more nervous. She raised her hand as she approached, and I couldn't help but flinch. Embarrassing as it was, I couldn't stop myself. My instincts were screaming at me to protect myself. I was ripped from those thoughts when I felt a surprisingly gentle hand on my shoulder, and was wrapped in her embrace. You know what I said about Evelyn showing tenderness? Nevermind. I prefer the angry Evelyn. This is awkward.

She must have sensed how stiff I was, because a moment later, I was let go. When I finally had the confidence to look up at her, I was taken aback to see a small smile on her face, her eyes seeming to examine every detail of me, likely because it would be the last time she ever saw me. Finally, she spoke.

"Alright. It's time for you to go. Bye, Sweetheart." Evelyn then walked over to the boys with her well wishes, and before I knew it, I was walking out of the old rusty gates, dresser in my hands. This is a new chapter of my life. Whether for better or worse, things has just changed drastically for me, and would never be the same again.