Scene 3: The Hustler

SKY (O.S.):  Do you like her?

Paul looks to his right to see Sky peeking over a little half-wall divider, her curious eyes probing his thoughts. She smirks with the attitude of a pre-teen.

Paul turns his head back and brings his coffee to his lips.

PAUL:  That's an imposing question.

SKY:  You're avoiding the question.

Paul rolls his eyes and does not answer the question. He shifts a little in his seat.

SKY:  Aren't you married?

Paul sets his coffee down and pulls his book up to read it.

PAUL:  Again, a personal question.

SKY:  That's what the ring is for, isn't it? Why else would you be wearing it?

There is a long silence. Paul can feel her eyes burning a hole in the side of his head. He slowly looks over.

Sky is still smirking at him, awaiting her answer.

PAUL:  Yes, I am married. Any more questions?

SKY:  How long have you been married?

PAUL:  Are you taking a survey?

SKY:  You're avoiding the question again.

APRIL (O.S.):  (harsh whisper)  Sky!

We pan over to see April standing at the edge of the divider with her hands on her hips.

APRIL (CONT'D):  I told you not to bother this man.

Paul lowers his head and smiles, relieved. Sky chuckles smugly and walks back to her table.

April watches her as though she is fastening her in her seat with a stern look then turns her attention to Paul.

APRIL:  I am so sorry... (whips her head to Sky)  again.

She looks back to Paul.

Paul raises his hand to wave it off.

PAUL:  No worries. (sarcastically)  She's quite lovely.

Paul looks at Sky, who is slouched in her seat shooting him some attitude, she flips him off.

APRIL (O.S.):  Can I get you some more coffee?

Paul smiles and turns his attention to April.

PAUL:  Not right now, thanks.

April smiles politely and walks off the scene.

After a moment Paul places a hat on his head from the seat next to him, stands up and heads for the exit.

April is now cleaning up a table and smiles at him.

APRIL:  Have a nice day, Paul.

PAUL:  Oh, I'm just stepping outside for a moment. Keep my table for me?

APRIL:  Of course.

Paul watches April as she removes an unused straw from the table and skillfully flips it through her fingers before placing it in her apron.

Sky notices him watching and shoots him an interested smile.

Paul nods and tips his hat at Sky as he walks out the door.

EXT. COFFEE SHOP - CONTINUOUS

Paul walks a few feet away from the entrance and stops. He takes a metal cigarillo case out of his pocket and opens it. He takes out one mini cigar and smells it. He returns the case to his pocket and retrieves a lighter.