Scene 5: Nigel

INT. COFFEE SHOP - BATHROOM - DAY

Paul enters the bathroom and walks up to the urinal. The door bangs open and Paul carefully watches in the reflection of the flush handle as a man approaches.

The man walks up to the urinal beside him. NIGEL(47), a large man, wearing an ill-fitting suit. He wears a gold watch which sparkles when it catches the light.

They stand in silence for a moment, not making eye contact. Nigel eventually speaks with a working-class English accent.

NIGEL:  I've drank too much bloody tea today.

Paul smiles but says nothing.

NIGEL (CONT'D):  What brings you here, mate?

Paul gets a look on his face. A "is this guy really trying to start a conversation while we pee?" kind of look.

PAUL:  Just the coffee.

NIGEL:  Yeah, they have a good brew here. Nothing like a good cup a joe. That is what you yanks call it, yeah?

Nigel smiles toothily.

Paul responds by flushing the urinal and walking over to the sink to wash his hands. Nigel joins him.

NIGEL (CONT'D):  Did I tick you off or something?

PAUL:  No. Just not in the mood for another conversation.

NIGEL:  (smiles) Unless it's with a nice young bird, I'll bet?

Paul dries his hands and then walks out without saying anything. He simply raises his hand to show his wedding ring.

AT PAUL'S TABLE

Paul returns. Sky has left a little origami bird on his table.

He picks it up and looks around for Sky, she's nowhere to be found. He sets the bird down and takes a seat.

He takes a sip of coffee and picks up his book.

Nigel sits down at the table across from him. He watches Paul, who does his best to ignore him. Nigel's right hand is bandaged where his thumb would be.

NIGEL:  Interesting choice of book. Wouldn't have thought you were into trashy novels.

Paul sets the book down and glares at him.

PAUL:  I don't know who you are, but is there a reason you're bothering me?

NIGEL:  Didn't mean to bother you, mate. Just thought you might like to talk about some literary stuff. I happen to review books.

PAUL:  Good for you.

NIGEL:  You can learn everything you need to know from books. For example... (beat) "All men live enveloped in whale lines. All are born with halters round their necks; but it is only when caught in the swift, sudden turn of death, that mortals realize the silent, subtle, ever present perils of life."

PAUL:  Moby Dick.

NIGEL:  You know your stuff. Good.

Paul turns his eyes away again.

NIGEL (CONT'D):  Can I get your opinion on something?

PAUL:  What?

NIGEL:  You know The Catcher in the Rye?

PAUL:  I do.

NIGEL:  What do you think of the theory that J.D. Salinger wrote the book in conjunction with the FBI and the CIA to act as a trigger for otherwise normal young men to commit assassinations?