18. Even Monsters Need Love Sometimes

They stood in the shadows of Valencia Boulevard, looking up at gold letters etched in black marble: DOA RECORDING STUDIOS.

Underneath, stencilled on the glass doors: NO SOLICITORS. NO LOITERING. NO LIVING.

Pez didn't know how to feel – there was a strange numbness in her mind, but her blood raced with electricity.

It was almost midnight, but the lobby was brightly lit and full of people. Behind the security desk sat a tough-looking guard with sunglasses and an earpiece.

Percy turned to his friends. "Okay. You remember the plan."

He glanced at Pez, who didn't seem to be all there.

"Jackson, you know what it's going to come down to," she said.

He froze.

"It doesn't have to-"

"Yes," she interrupted. "It does."

"The plan," Grover gulped. "Yeah. I love the plan."

"N-no, Percy's right," he stuttered. "You can't stay behind – I will."

"Grover, no."

"It makes sense," he insisted. "I'm a satyr, he can't take my soul."

Annabeth said, "What happens if the plan doesn't work?"

The blonde girl stopped the growing argument. "Neither of you will – I'll do it."

"No, it has to be me." Grover protested. "You're a demigod, I'm supposed to protect you guys."

"Don't think negative."

As the other two bickered, Percy and Pez were silent. She stared at him, a grim determination burning in her eyes.

"No. Please, no," he pleaded with her quietly. "I can't . . . lose you."

She gave him a bitter smile and he knew there would be no changing her mind.

"Right," Annabeth said. "We're entering the Land of the Dead, and I shouldn't think negative."

"You and I both know I have a better chance of getting out of there than you lot."

Logically, he knew that.

"You won't lose me, Jackson. Promise."

He took the pearls out of his pocket, the three milky spheres the Nereid had given him in Santa Monica. Only three. They didn't seem like much of a backup in case something went wrong.

Annabeth put her hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry, Percy. You're right, we'll make it. It'll be fine."

She gave Grover a nudge.

"Oh, right!" he chimed in. "We got this far. We'll find the master bolt and save your mum. No problem."

"Let's just hope we won't find the need to use them." Pez said, finally breaking from her reverie. Percy looked at her and she gave him a small nod.

Percy raised his voice without looking away from Pez, interrupting Annabeth and Grover. "Look, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. We may not even have to use them, if things go right."

They didn't look convinced, but they dropped it all the same.

He felt guilty for lying to the two, but he knew that they'd keep going in circles if it continued.