Chapter 4

*Flashback [Start]*
[1 week before the 8th grade dance]

"Dad! Come on! I need to go buy a new tuxedo for the dance," I yelled, shoving on my last shoe. My dad mumbled a reply that I couldn't make out. I walked into the living room to see my dad collapsed on the couch, a few empty liquor bottles strewn on the table.

"Dad?" I said, shaking his shoulder. "Dad?" I said, raising my voice a little bit louder. He grunted, giving me a sign that he was listening. "Don't you remember you said we were going shopping?"

"Just wear your old tux," my dad replied, groaning as he slowly pushed himself up into an upright position. I backed up subconsciously, the smell of alcohol reeked his breath. "The only tux I have is from 5th grade.." I mumbled.

"Well I can't drive you today," my dad said, getting up, and stumbling to his bedroom, a liquor bottle in hand. I sighed and went to Devon's room, and knocked quietly. "Huh?" Came a reply. I opened the door slowly and was met with my brothers form slouched over his desk, furiously writing.

"What're you doing?" I asked, sitting on the edge of his bed. He glanced at me, then went back to writing, "I'm finishing an essay for English."

"Well when you're done could you drop me and Colin off at the mall?" I asked hesitantly. There were only two sides to my eldest brother. He's either really nice or he gets really frustrated with me. There's no in between.

"I could take you right now and drop you off. Just call me when you're done." I gave a sigh of relief. Luckily he was in a good mood today.

ELI: get ready I'm coming to pick u up

COLIN: yes papa

~•~

"Did you get a date to the dance yet?" Colin asked as soon as my brother drove away. I narrowed my eyes at him, "Do you think I got a date?"

He looked at me then shook his head, "Nah."
"Not going to lie, that hurt a bit, but yeah you're right. But, I didn't even want a date in the first place." I replied. Colin looked at me quizzically as we walked into the mall, "how come?"

I looked at Colin, with his light blonde hair, bright blue eyes that somehow also looked pale gray, and his little dimples that were grooved into his cheeks. Lately I've been feeling.. attracted to him? But he was my best friend! This wasn't supposed to happen.

I awkwardly coughed and cleared my throat, "eh, just don't like any of the girls that go to our school.." I replied. Technically I wasn't lying. "Well if it makes you feel any better, no one asked me yet either. I guess you're my date," he shrugged jokingly. He might've said that to be funny, but my stomach did small flips of joy from hearing those words pass his lips.

We walked into one store, but walked right back out when we saw the prices. After some more hunting we finally found a small shop selling used tuxedos for a low price.

"Which one?" Colin asked holding a hot pink bow tie, and a pastel pink tie. If you couldn't tell already, pink was his favorite color. I pointed at the bow tie. "Are you sure?" He asked for the millionth time, as he held it up against his neck in front of the mirror.

"Fine then get the tie," I replied, leaning on a rack of sparkly tuxedos. He ended up getting the bow tie.

~•~
[The night of the 8th grade dance]