Chapter Eight

The months passed with the two families building their broken relationship. No word came concerning Funmi and she stopped calling Pastor Azikwe altogether. Christmas came and went and the year ended ushering in a brand new on; without Funmi. Ethan and Zion grew daily in the midst of the joy, pain, loneliness and hope that surrounded them. No one forgot their beloved Funmi but each person moved on with their lives and caught up with happiness.

Antonio found joy again in his work and worked harder than ever before. The elderly couples also took a break from each other and worked on their marriages. They went on holidays and often meet at dinners and occasions they were invited. Mrs. Olanrewaju also ended the divorce proceedings she began and became her husband's "baby." It seemed all the bottled up affection he had for her were released and he doted on her like he should have when they were newly married.

Antonio celebrated his two years wedding anniversary alone and finally submitted the divorce applications. He had gone to court and it was finalised in no time as it was uncontested. The only person present was Funmi's lawyer. The court granted a Decree Nisi after which a period of three months must elapse before a Decree Absolute would be granted and the marriage would end legally.

In late January, a private family party was thrown for Antonio's birthday. His parents, his brother William, Dele and Kemi, their babies and his best friend Hassan were present. After dinner was served and eaten, they all sat down to relax and reminisce about Antonio's childhood. They were still having a great time when a breaking news on NTA caught their attention.

There was going to be an upscale charity event at a certain five star hotel: The Crystals. The proceeds from the event will be used to buy health equipment, wheelchairs, crutches and many other assistive devices for mobility for people living with disabilities in different rural areas across the country. The next announcement silenced the entire birthday crew. The host of the event would be none other than the Philanthropist, Mrs. Funmilola Babalola.

The breaking news ended and the Television station went back to other news. Funmi disappeared for nearly eight months and now she was coming back in grand style. Everyone was silent except the twins babbling on and on.

"Did you all hear that?" Hassan spoke first.

"Praise the Lord!" Mrs. Babalola cried in excitement and happiness.

"Hallelujah!!!" They all chorused.

"Everyone, we are going for that function and we are all going to donate to the cause. We must contact the station to get more information on how to buy the tickets." William said happily.

In not time calls began to pour in to congratulate the family on their precious daughter in law and promises were made to make donations towards the cause.

"I have an announcement to make." Antonio spoke up. He got their attention.

"I am getting baptized next weekend. I gave my life to Jesus."

The room became silent again and then loud shouts of celebration followed.

"At last. I thought you might die an atheist." William said teasingly.

One by one, they congratulated him.

"You don't believe me?" He asked his parents who were still processing the news. His mother snapped out of her state of shock and hugged him tightly.

"My prayers have been answered at last." She said happily.

Kemi too was shocked and upon realizing he was serious, stood up and began to sing a song of thanksgiving.

Antonio confessed to them that he was inspired by Funmi's love and wanted what she had.

"She never gave up on me and her absence today testifies to the unfailing love of God in her heart for me and I will be forever grateful." Just as he said these words, the doorbell rang and the security man entered the house,