The Return: Chapter Nine

A Happy New Year to everyone and I hope that you are all well. I apologise for this tremendous delay in updating. Thank you and thank you very much for your patience. Here a few chapters for your appeasement. God bless you all.

The mansion's big lounge was transformed into a Ball Room. Antonio did everything in His power to make his Ex-wife's return as peaceful and beautiful as possible. The most painful part of the day so far, was welcoming the aristocrats, politicians, activists and many other dignitaries while smiling and responding to all the glorious compliment of his "perfect husband" character. If only they knew they were divorced.

His parents and his ex-in laws soon arrived, together with Dele an Antonio's close friends. Funmi's restaurant did the catering for free and her team was all over the place serving and making everyone feel right at home. The MC for the night got on the makeshift podium and welcomed everyone to the event. Antonio paid no attention to the MC who went on and on about how the donation would be done and where the money was going. His eyes searched all over the place for Funmi, his heart was yearning for her and he just could not stand still.

Hassan felt his friend's anxiety and gently nudged him with his elbow. Antonio turned around and made a questioning expression,

"She is coming Toni, just chill."

Antonio sighed and looked down at his shoes.

"Now, let me introduce to you the person we have all being waiting for; the Woman who made tonight possible; A Woman of great faith, integrity and compassion. If all the wealthy people in our nation are like her, poverty would be a thing of the past in Nigeria." His listeners had mixed feelings about his last statement but no one spoke.

"Please, help me to welcome Mrs. Funmilola Babalola." The entire room went into excitement mode as people clapped, cheered and whispered about their expectations, after all, she has been off the public radar for too long.

As they all cheered, the main door opened and Funmi walked in, looking grand and sunny. She wore a short and stylish green dress with black stilettos. She looked so classy but not over the top as her innocent warm smile melted the hearts of her guests. Antonio's heart seemed to stop as he stared at her with so much pride and longing. His friends clapped animatedly with wide smiles and hailed happily.

Funmi walked up to the stage and smiled widely at everyone.

"I am glad you could all make it to this special event. You are all welcome and I am sincerely grateful for this enormous support and love for the less privileged in our country. May God bless you as put smiles on their faces, give hop for their future and put joy in their hearts. Please, enjoy the finger foods as we prepare to enter into the donation activity." A round of applause was given and as she stepped down from the stage, several of the VVIPs came and shook hands with her, gave air kisses and classy hugs.

Antonio did not waste time and quickly walked over to her, took her arm and apologized to the guests that could not get enough of her. He gently led her to the kitchen as the guest cooks were using a separate and bigger kitchen for the event.

"Antonio," She greeted him with wide smiles and was oozing a confidence he had never seen before.

"Funmi."

There was an awkward silence that immediately followed but Funmi did not lose her composure.

"Please let go of my hands." Funmi said softly. Antonio had been holding her right hand throughout unconsciously. He let go and smiled weakly.

"How are you Antonio?" She asked so casually as if she had only be gone a few days.

Antonio spotted her wearing her wedding ring and immediately became puzzled. Funmi's eyes followed his and she quickly registered his confusion.

"I got here earlier when you were not around and found it right on the vanity table in its case and decided to put it on. By the way, I moved in too." She said nonchalantly.

Antonio let breathed out and just stared at her in shock. He does not know what he expected to happen or which personality Funmi was going to come back with but this person standing before him was surely not the Funmi he knew.

"You know what is upsetting?" He finally asked.

"Let me guess, you are upset because I am wearing my wedding ring and moved into my old house."

"No Funmi, you know you are always welcome into my house but there is just something about you that is not right. You are selling to the whole world that we are still married."

Funmi folded her arms across her chest, "Don't flatter yourself. I asked my lawyer to rent out my house few months ago and I do not want to make my brother and his wife uncomfortable and staying with my parents was not an option, so I decided to crash with an old friend."

Antonio just watched on in shock.

"Besides, why should I waste money renting a room in a hotel when you are living alone in this huge house all by yourself? Don't be selfish Antonio." She finished with a roll of her eyes.

"In all the rooms in the house, why did you have to move into mine?" He asked.

"The last time I checked, that was my room. You could move out if it is not comfortable to live with your ex!"

Antonio had seen enough. He did not say anything else further and left her in the kitchen. Funmi sighed deeply and followed him. Her home coming is turning out to be more dramatic than she envisaged.

The Charity dinner ended and the mansion became empty by midnight. The waiters and the cooks loaded the dirty dishes in big bowls and took them to the kitchen where Funmi who had now changed into casual clothing was helping to clean up. Her parents remained behind, with the hop to sit her down and talk to her and just catch up.

When all the cleaning was done, Funmi thanked the workers and they applauded happily.

"Thank you so much for your support and help. Your rooms for the night are ready, so please follow me so we can all get some much needed sleep.

They let out a chorused "Thank you Ma," as she led them into the guest wing of the mansion and showed them their rooms. As they settled in, Funmi too made the journey up the stair to her old matrimonial room. She reluctantly opened the door but was surprised to find Antonio sound asleep in a sleeping bag on the floor.

"The perfect gentleman." She whispered. She went straight to her light travel bag, took out her toiletries and night wear and headed to the bathroom to freshen up.

Antonio immediately opened his eyes when he saw she had left. He smiled to himself and closed his eyes, trying to force sleep and stifle the bubbling laughter inside him. He could tell that Funmi was trying so hard to put on a show, a show he was not prepared to see but hopefully, will end well by God's grace.

Funmi came back inside when she was done freshening up and got on her knees to pray. Antonio listened in and prayed along with her silently. He reasoned that she was protecting herself from getting hurt by him or give false hope that they could ever come back together. He silently prayed before he finally drifted off to sleep,

"Lord, let your will be done."