Chapter 1

I am Doughnut. I was born in a shelter, surrounded by other dogs howling. I had 3 brothers and 1 sister.
  All I remember that day was the smell of milk, and my mother, of course. I always had more trouble getting around than by siblings. But at first, I didn't know why.
   Soon my eyes opened and I could see my black mother staring back at me! I looked around a bit before hurrying back for her milk. Every day a man came and gave my mother a bowl of brown stuff. It looked pretty disgusting, so I went back to nursing.
   Eventually, my mother whined at us when we went to nurse, and sometimes got up and moved. It was strange, but I didn't think much of it. All I wanted to do was play!
   I bounded around my siblings while they stared at me. I tackled my brother and chewed on his ear. He growled then pushed me off, going to play with my other siblings.
   Hey! That wasn't fair! I whined at him as he tackled and played with my sister. Why was I so different? I looked down at myself and sniffed. I smelled like everyone else, so what's the big deal?
     Then I looked at my legs and saw something horrid. I had only 3 legs! I whined and barked and ran around the cage, trying to run away from my own self.
    You may be thinking, "how did you only notice you had 3 legs then, dumbo?" Well, these things don't matter to a puppy. We eat, sleep, and play. If you take one of things away, then a puppy starts to notice stuff. Crummy explanation, I know.
    Anyway, a while later a young girl came into the shelter. Lots of people came into the shelter, but she was different. Her eyes were stretched, and her nose was bent. Her whole face was unqiue. I liked her instantly.
   She walked around the shelter, looking at each dog. Then she came to my cage. I ran to the front of the cage, (more or less limped),  barking rapidly and showing her I wanted to play. She laughed and said something to her to a woman beside her and she smiled.
     Soon the man who fed us everyday came and opened the cage! I was so excited I couldn't even hold in todays breakfast. The mom stood there wide eyed while the girl laughed.
      "Are you sure you want this one, Darling?" The woman asked.
       "Yes, Mom," she whispered. So the woman's name was Mom, and the girl's name was Darling. What was my name then?
    I would know soon. Darling picked me up and held me close to her as we walked out the door. I loved being in her arms. I felt that finally someone loved me. She got into this odd object, which I know now is a car, and Mom got in too.
   Soon the car started shaking and I buried deep into Darling's side. For now she would protect me, but I knew soon it would be the other way around.