005. the polar express/christmas morning

10:56 pm

Dani's movie ended, and she had tears streaming down her face from all the emotions. Rent was a pretty sad movie, and not matter how many times Dani watched it, she cried every single time.

"Man, Rent sure knows how to make me cry." Dani sniffled, wiping away tears. She didn't exactly expect to cry in front of Luke like that, but it was already happening and there was no going back.

"You're gonna hate me for my movie choice then." Luke laughed nervously. She quickly turned her head, furrowing her eyebrows. "What is it?"

"I don't think I should say-"

"Just spit it out." She demanded, letting out a groan.

"The Polar Express." He spit out. Dani let out a sigh, not wanting to go through another sob fest over a movie that was pure fiction.

"Lemme just get a box of tissues-" Dani went to get up, but Luke put his arm in front of her, making her sit back where she was.

"Hey! Let me be your shoulder to cry on." Luke said. He moved his arm away from her, and she questions the whole "shoulder to cry on" thing. Sure, she was pretty comfortable around Luke now, but not that comfortable, even if they had almost kissed earlier. "Uhm, I don't know about that."

"Ladies say I'm a squishy boy." He teased, slightly flexing his arm a little. Dani simply rolled her eyes, having no time for yet another silly game with Luke. "Sure they do."

"You sure know how to cut open a wound in my heart." Luke chuckled.

"It's what I do best." She smirked at him.

It was funny, hours ago Dani almost slammed the door in Luke's face when she was asked to take part in this Christmas Eve endeavor, but now the two seem inseparable, getting along way more than they expected. "Ya know, I remember telling you earlier that a lot can happen can change in a day, and look at us now."

"What do you mean?" Dani raised an eyebrow at him, not exactly remembering every detail from when they met.

"Earlier you tried telling me I was wrong, but clearly I was right." He said like a child when they proved a point to their parents or siblings. It was kind of cute, really, but Dani kept her mouth shut as always.

"Yeah...?" She replied confused.

"Well, we're like best buds now!" Luke exclaimed, putting an arm around Dani and pulling her close. Best buds? Come on, dude.

"Yeah... best buds." Dani frowned, which Luke immediately noticed. He didn't want to see her frown, but there was no going back. "What?"

"Nothing." She shook her head. "Let's, uh, just put on the movie."

"Oh, alright." He replied and took his arm away from her. Best buds? What the hell am I thinking? God, if only I could just tell her. Yes, it was pretty apparent that Luke was attracted to Dani, but he was way too scared to tell her, even though he continued being a little flirt.

"I heard that Americans would watch this at school and your teachers would give you guys hot chocolate." Luke said. Right now he was trying to make things between them seem okay again, since the whole "best buds" thing was not settling well.