4 ¤ Sweet Dreams

Miriam was too busy to worry about how things were going between Parker and Violet. To be honest, she hadn't thought about Violet since leaving Parker's house. 

She was late with her submission and her boss was hounding her. This was the reason she was holed up in her office on a Saturday. Even more reason why she knew it had been the right decision to decline staying last night with Parker. She wouldn't have gotten any sleep and would have ended up playing hooky. For ten seconds, she imagined all the things they might have done before remembering his teenage daughter would have been in the house as well.

Miriam poured herself into the work and missed lunch. Exhaustion overwhelmed her by the end of the day. But she had done it. She looked over the submission with pride. There was no doubt she was amazing at her job. That's why she was given the challenging accounts. 

Miriam checked her phone for the first time that day to see a sweet text from Parker. She smiled as she opened it and read the message.

Thinking of you and wishing you were in my arms. Xoxo. I love you. Can't wait to see you again.

She typed her response as if her life depended on it.

Definitely thinking of you too. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I love you. Xoxo. And I can't wait to see you!

She gathered her things together, glad she was able to come to the office in casual clothes. She didn't like to work from home; it didn't give her time to unwind from everything. Home should feel like home. Besides, she functioned better in her office where her thoughts flowed without a problem.

Miriam juggled the submission folder, her purse, and phone. She switched lights off as she walked towards her boss’s office, hoping this submission would be the one to gain her the coveted title of partner. 

She couldn't help the grin on her face as she made sure to put her folder in the center of the large polished desk where her boss was sure to see it. She sighed as she turned and headed for the doors, closing them behind her.

“Goodnight, Henry.” She called one of the janitors. He waved to her and went back to work.

Miriam tossed her belongings into the back seat before climbing into the driver's seat. Her stomach grumbled, reminding her about the missed lunch. She drove the short distance to her home and decided to just make herself a sandwich. 

Her mind drifted to Parker. She wished there was some way they could stay together for a night. The idea was in her head now that Parker had asked. 

It was challenging to date. Of course she was free to see him whenever he wanted, but he had to find ways to meet up with her without Violet finding out. She had never asked him what his excuses were. She hadn't even considered that maybe he should have told Violet about their relationship sooner. Both of them were so caught up in each other.

Miriam sat on her couch with her sandwich and chips to watch TV while she ate. She picked a romantic comedy, which she found fitting. Halfway through, she curled up, her head resting on one of the arms of the furniture. The movie was making her think even more about Parker.

She realized that she’d often been imagining him proposing to her. She knew what her answer would be without hesitation. Even thinking about it, her eyes crinkled as she smiled.