Day 2: Part 2

Connor threw his cigarette bud on the ground and stomped on it. He waited, leaning against the metal fence for Evan for over an hour. He kept checking his phone every two to five minutes for Evan to shoot him a text or something; anything to give him a sign that he's okay, that he's alive. Connor had read Evan's email multiple times, fifty times to be exact.

"But I guess we can't always get what we ask for."

That one line kept repeating in Connor's head. Evan knows that Connor waits for him everyday for him to come to school, he's been doing this everyday ever since Evan came clean about his mental health. Did that one line mean something? Connor's head was spinning with thoughts. Connor ran his thumb over his bottom lip, squinting his eyes as he stared at absolutely nothing. Being stoned may or may not had an affect on Connor's thoughts.

Is Evan okay?

Did something happen to him?

Evan mentioned he ran out of his anti-anxiety pills in the email. Does that have something to do with him not being here yet?

Connor wanted to check up on him, he needed to. He made sure the cigarette bud was completely out before picking it up and throwing it into the trash can before fixing his satchel over his shoulder and left school campus.

He fiddled with the black hair tie on his wrist as Connor kept his head hanging low. Connor never tied his hair back when he was at school or at home, only when he was alone with Evan because he loves when Connor's hair is pushed back and out of his face. He chewed on his lip anxiously as he approached closer to Evan's house. His eyes burned because of the weed as the New Jersey wind blew into his face, pushing all of his hair out of his face, revealing the light whiskers on his chin and the baby hairs on his upper lip and cheeks. Connor just couldn't shake off the thought of something bad happening to Evan. Just the thought of it caused Connor to get anxious.

Connor fetched a little cube out of the front pocket of his bag. The cube was called a Fidget Cube and it's supposed to help in stressful/anxious situations. The little cube had a bunch of little buttons and switches you could fidget with to help ease your nerves. It was small and dark grey with black buttons and switches on every side of the cube.

Chewing on his bottom lip and fidgeting with his cube simultaneously, Connor noticed something laying still on the sidewalk. At first he thought it must've been a suitcase, or somebody's backpack. But as Connor approached closer and closer to the mystery object, he realized it just wasn't just somebody's belongings, it was larger but thinner than that. Squinting his eyes, Connor felt his heart plunge to the bottom of his gut. That something was a someone, and that someone was Evan. When the realization hit him, Connor shoved his fidget cube into his packet pocket and printed at full speed towards Evan, worried shitless.

Crashing and skidding onto his knees, Connor pulls Evan's limp body into his lap, ignoring the stinging in both his knees. Connor has most definitely scraped both of his knees, but that's the least of his worries right now.

Shaking Evan's shoulders lightly, Connor mumbled the same words over and over again.

"Evan, please get up, please get up. Evan, for fucks sake, get up, please," Connor cried, tears streaming down his face harder than it ever has. His lip quivered as his tears began to burn his eyes. The weed isn't going to wear off any time soon, Connor thought. He needed to go home and drink some milk, which is supposed to bring you down from your high, and take care of Evan. Picking himself off the ground, Connor scooped his pale friend into his arms, wrapping both of Evan's legs around his waist, supporting him by having one arm underneath his butt and the other around his back; Connor quickly padded his way back to his home while the tears kept streaming down the sides of his cheeks and neck.

Cynthia and Larry were gone to work and Zoe was at school- as the two boys should be, so the two boys were alone. Padding up the stairs, Connor took Evan into his bedroom, laying him down on the twin sized bed. He took off both of their bags and tossed them to the side of the door. Connor was scared to leave Evan unintended in case he woke up, but Connor needed to get off his high to take care of Evan properly. He glanced at Evan before running down stairs quietly and yanking open the fridge door and twisting off the cap on the only carton of milk, chugging the once half full box of liquid. Connor choked on the last little bit of milk when he heard screaming coming from his bedroom. Throwing the empty carton of milk, Connor slipped on the last couple of drops that didn't make it into his mouth, but caught his balance with his hands, sprinting up the wooden stairs.

Evan sat in the far corner on Connor's bed, curled into the tiniest ball, hugging his knees as he leaned against the wall, trembling in fear. Evan's eyes met Connor's, and when it did, Evan began to sob loudly as he slowly crawled off Connor's bed. His face was bright red, myriad of tears streaming down his cheeks and neck as his teeth clenched together.

Connor's heart plunged to the bottom of his gut at the sight of his best, and only friend in distress. Connor quickly ran over to Evan and threw his arms around the curve of his back and his shoulder; Evan wrapped both of his arms around Connor's neck, standing on his tipsy toes.

"C-Connor... w-where we-were y-you?" Evan sobbed into the taller boy's chest. Connor felt a pang in his chest. The taller boy sat criss-crossed on the floor. and brought Evan close to his chest. Evan was straddled in Connor's lap, as that's the most comfortable position the two boys could sit in. 

"I'm sorry, Ev. I..." Connor let out a sigh, trying to blink away the tears. "I was waiting for you behind the school for over an hour, and began to get nervous. You didn't text me or anything, so then I got nervous, so I got high. I was heading over to your house and something laying limp on the side of the s-side walk. I-I didn't know what it was until I got closer... Then I realized that it was you and I got scared... and..." Connor broke out into sobs, shoving his face into the crook of the smaller boy's neck. "I'm so fucking sorry, Evan. I-I-I went downstairs to drink some milk, because you know that it's supposed to bring you down from your h-high, because I didn't want to take care o-of you and look after you while I'm h-high. Because you know, I want the best f..."

Evan hushed and cradled Connor's head, rubbing circles on his back. He felt Connor's finger nails digging into his back, but he didn't mind, Evan never minds, because the taller boy was in obvious distress about the situation that had just taken place.

"It's okay, Conny. Don't worry. I'm not mad," Connor smiled slightly through his sobs at the nickname Evan gave him. Evan pressed his cheek against Connor's shoulder, running his small fingers through the taller boys long, auburn locks. The taller boy only sobbed in response. The house was dead silent, the sound of Connor's sobs were the only thing that disrupted it. "How about we watch some Heathers bootlegs and talk smack about JD?" Connor chuckled.

"That would be beautiful," Connor sang into his neck. Evan giggled at the vibrations against his neck. Connor wiped the tears off his cheeks with the back of his wrist and stood up, helping Evan up with him.