sixteen

If what Conan referred to as 'the world' only consisted of plain fields and a few single farms scattered on them, it was a pretty boring place to be.

The weather was quite nice today though, so speeding down the long almost empty streets was pleasant. We came across a few cars, but were mostly on our own. Just us, on the bike, in the middle of nowhere.

If I had thought Michael's town was out in the sticks, we were even more remote here. I still wasn't used to see this much flat land, this much grass in one place.

Honestly, if Ruby ever came out here, he'd probably have a mental breakdown.

When we finally came to a stop at a gas station to buy breakfast and get some gas, the first thing I did was stretch, my limbs stiff from sitting on that bike for so long. While Conan got the gas, I let my gaze wander around, my eyes widening when they fixed on a few animals in the distance.

"Holy shit," I gasped, earning Conan's attention. "Look. Cows."

He raised a brow, not really understanding my excitement. "Yeah? What about them?"

"I've never seen them before," I replied. "Like, in real life. I know what they look like, but I've never been so close to one before."

Conan chuckled, still at his bike's side. "When we're done, we can park the bike here and go over to them."

I turned back to him, narrowing my eyes a little. "Isn't that like, dangerous? I've heard they can get aggressive."

Again, he laughed. "You're such a city kid. If we don't bother them, they won't do anything to us."

I rolled my eyes, yet couldn't deny that I felt the slightest bit excited. Cows. Finally.

We bought a few sandwiches, parked the bike, and made our way across the fields. Once we reached the animals I pulled out my phone, snapping a few pictures for Ruby while Conan laughed at me. I didn't mind him, though. Ruby would flip his shit if he saw them.

"Hey, wanna see something funny?" Conan suddenly asked, picking up a long stick.

I watched as he walked towards one of the cows that didn't pay him any attention. As he raised his arm, my eyes widened.

"What the fuck, Conan!" I said, but the boy just laughed and walked back to me.

"Are you stupid? As if I would hit a cow."

He was still laughing when he reached me, and I just rolled my eyes at him, feeling the slightest bit annoyed. Nothing about that joke had been funny.

Conan suddenly stopped, his gaze fixed on the ground as he let out a string of swear words. My frown vanished, and a grin spread on my face as I realized he had stepped into a pile of cow shit.

"That's karma," I laughed, his sour expression only amusing me even more. It was his turn to be annoyed now.

"Shut up. It's fucking gross."

It was hilarious, yet I forced myself to calm down so his mood wouldn't get worse. I didn't want to deal with a pissed Conan while we were alone out here.

We found a small creek where he could clean his shoe, and once he was done, we sat down next to the creek to devour our sandwiches. It was peaceful, and quiet, even though I still had the headphones around my neck.

"I feel like such a hillbilly," I stated, laying down on the warm grass. "Have I officially joined the club now?"

"Y'all, I ain't no hillbilly," Conan replied, causing me to smirk. "No, but really. I don't wanna stay in that small town forever."