The past

As I stood there watching Juan open the parcel I gave him, my mind and heart were having their personal battle wondering if this decision I had made was right. Oh, I still remember that frightful night..................
"Al I'm going down the street to see if I can get some money. Just do me a favor and stay in the house for once" I shouted at my husband. It was late in the evening and he had come home drunk claiming to have spent every cent I had saved for a nice dinner. Walking down the abandoned lane that smelled of faeces I tugged my coat all the way up to my nose to get away from the stench. "Whaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! Whaaaaaaaa!!!!" The wailing sound cut through my skin forcing me to let go of my coat to cover my ears. I looked around picturing the worst case scenario. A baby without legs or hands....... or maybe someone has taken his eye balls out and left him to rot. Giving my head a good slap I took my hands off my ears to try and track from where the sound was coming. But everything was quiet. I waited...... nothing? Was it a mistake? Was it just my mind playing tricks on me. It happens sometimes you know after living in the streets you become immune to the sound of traffic that it sounds like the breeze brushing past you. Could this be something like that? Just as I was about to get going another wail caught my attention. Except this one was much softer. "Hello!!" I called out with fear. "WHAAAAAA!!!!!!" This time I saw it. Not even five steps away from me was a tiny baby. I can't say exactly how old he was but I knew I couldn't judge his age by his size. He could have been out there for days or even weeks. Not like anyone comes this way. He was lying on his belly and rolled over to get a better look at me. At that moment I felt something snap inside. I don't know how to explain it. It was like fate had bought us together. I knew I couldn't leave him alone... definitely not here. I couldn't keep him Al hated kids. He would kill him if he got the chance. Well I could just hide him somewhere for the night and probably take him to the police station in the morning.

"Whaaaa!!!!!!" "What's that sound?" Al asked me with a frown.