Change

"Granma!..... Granma!!!!!" Juan called out. And with that Al's words faded away. As I looked up tears filled my eyes and for a millisecond it took me back to that raw, neglected bundle lying amongst the stench. Shaking away the memory I walked towards him. He ran into my arms and held me tight. This was the first time I felt safe after Al died. He would always hold me in his arms and tell me everything would be fine, even when we didn't have money to buy food. Unlike me he always saw everything at a positive angle.

Pulling away Juan looked at me with eyes filled with questions. Knowing I wouldn't be able to answer them I looked away. Taking my face in his hands he wiped my tears and placed a light kiss on my forehead.

"I don't understand anything that's happening right now Granma but I know you don't want to talk about it. So we don't have to. But one day you will tell me. I know it." And with that he ran off to pick up our few things lying in front of the bakery.

Jean sucked up all the energy she had and walked towards the bakery knowing that from now on life was going to be a lot tougher and that she would have to work much harder. But she was getting weak each day and she feared for Juan's future.

Handing over the new bag she bought him along with a few papers ( as she couldn't afford books) she walked with him all the way to school. Well it wasn't that far from the bakery. Juan noticed buses arriving packed with students. I wonder what it's like to go in one of those, he thought to himself.

"Alright Juan I know this is all new for you, and it's ok if your scared. But I want you to remember that you are a bit different from the other children who come here. They might laugh at you but don't get hurt. You learn son and one day you will become a great man. Then all those people who laugh at you today will stand up tomorrow when you walk past them and they'll look at you with respect each time you speak . No matter what always be kind to everyone even those who hurt you. Do you understand? Revenge my son, is for losers."
Saying goodbye to Granma Jean I walked into this big building called a 'school'. Not knowing what to expect I just smiled at everyone I saw. Some smiled back and others just pretended they never saw me which was fine by me.

I wasn't sure where to go at first so I asked a nice lady sitting under a tree. And guess what???? She told me she had been waiting for me all along. Now that made me feel very special. No one ever waited for me, they always chased me away.  "I'm Juan" I said wanting to break the silence. " I know exactly who you are Juan. I met your grandmother yesterday. I'm your principal Miss Green." "What's a principal?" I asked looking confued. At that she chuckled. What even? What's with people these days? Every time I ask someone a question they either start crying or they start laughing. But glad that she wasn't crying I smiled back with a questioning look. Seeing the huge question mark on my face she stopped dead in her tracks and said " wait, your serious?......... You have no idea who a principal is? With wide eyes I just shook my head.