XIII - The Reappearance of Hatsune Miku

{Jhiro Fukiyama}

"Good job," the Leviathan applauds us, conveniently ignoring the condescension in her voice. "Nobody managed to die in the first stage."

Everybody is here: Yoko, Tai, Masaki, Victoria, Jizusuke, and the others. I can only guess that our test of speed became a test of faith. Still, I don't see any distinct advantages for those who managed to hang on for so long.

Masaki is missing his chain; it still hangs around Yoko's waist. Victoria has the metal bat, and a girl in a navy-blue school uniform that I have never seen in my life wields a long bamboo pole. Jizusuke finds a pair of nunchaku, and another of the quiet ones—a girl in a shrine maiden outfit, of all things—has a wooden kendo staff. The guy from Chiba; I think the Leviathan addressed him by his surname, Kanzaki; has a truncheon that he didn't have before, and Tai has the deadliest weapon of all: a Taser gun.

A sour taste burns my tongue as I recall the electrifying agony I suffered back at Tomikawa Cafe.

"Shall we move on to the next trial, now?"

"Wait a minute," Tai interjects, taking a bold step forward. "Are you not going to address the fact that you nearly just killed us?"

"Do you expect me to express compassion for your hardships? You're a Yomiborn, aren't you?" The Leviathan narrows her emerald eyes at the guy, dicing swiftly through his courage. "Surely you and your kin have all endured worse."

"But that doesn't make it right," Yoko moves in to support Tai, for the first time since I've met the two of them. "You've torn us away from our homes in order to fight for you, threatened our parents and our friends, and on top of that, refuse to explain all of the things we've seen here at HERALD. I hope you at least have the decency to grant us that last one."

"I've shown you the Akuma, the weapons we use. You will become a pilot to replace our former one, such that humanity may have a guardian to prevent a fourth World War. Our opponents are the Harbingers, and no matter what shape or form they may take, they are to be completely exterminated. Is that enough for you?"

"That sounds like the plot to a science fiction manga," she crosses her arms, unimpressed. "You owe us more than a synopsis."

The Leviathan turns her shoulder to the two of them. "I owe you nothing. I can offer you a shelter here, away from the prejudices of your home nation, safe from the burning sun, but in exchange, you must offer me your service. I think that is a fair deal."

To that, Yoko and Tai have no counter. Makes sense; I doubt any of us would wish to return to the oppression in the streets. Only a fool would throw that away.

"If you have further complaints, voice them now. If not, then find your partner, and follow after me once you're done," she whirls around towards the exit: a white square against a field of black.

"Huh?"

"Our partners?"

"Guys, look at the wall."

A screen lights up with a two-column table, each slot filled in with a name. I find mine somewhere in the middle, next to somebody whose name doesn't even sound like a real name.

Anamire Kirisaki.

I wonder who that is.

People divide up quickly, leaving me alone in the blink of an eye. Of course, Yoko and Tai are together. Jizusuke and the Chiba kid stand next to each other. The shrine maiden and the last guy—who dresses head to toe in black—have also teamed up. Finally, that leaves the most unlikely duo, and the one that I hate the most: Victoria and Masaki.