XIX - Drinks on the House (Thanks, Soru)

{ 001 }

"This is it," Yumei declares, slamming her fist onto the tabletop.

Two days later, at a quarter past midnight, we all assembled inside the observation deck for her announcement.

"Saying 'this is it' doesn't tell me anything," Soru remarks, jumping from her sudden attack on the table. "I don't know what that's supposed to mean."

"It means that we cracked this goddamn thing wide open," she exclaims, wringing her hands. "Guys, we did it!"

Klaus raises an eyebrow, his arms crossed in cynicism. "Well, are you going to get around to telling us or what?"

With a sweep of her lab coat, Yumei points directly towards the head of Akuma-1, triumphant and maybe even a little vindictive. "That security system is all ours for the taking."

A sudden urge overcomes me to embrace Yumei in a hug, but I maintain my composure long enough that someone else lets their excitement free. The leader has to stay calm, no matter what—or something like that. I think Sun Tzu mentioned leadership by example in his book.

"Shut the hell up. Seriously?" Soru says. "So that module thing actually worked? Holy hell!"

"The report was accurate. And it worked like a charm, so give yourself some credit," she smiles.

Okay, maybe I will give her a hug. After all, she's worked her ass off for the last two weeks balancing this rebellion with her own duties. The least she deserves is some kind of appreciation.

"If it's accurate, then prove it."

"What?"

All heads turn towards Klaus, who cocks his head towards Sakura Four's lifeless frame beyond the glass. His eyes narrow with suspicion, as if probing the open air for answers. This type of behavior isn't unusual for him—and I can't blame him for doubting a solution this perfect—but he could learn to soften his words, particularly towards Yumei.

"If it's accurate, then prove it. Right now."

"And what's got you so worked up?" Soru kicks out of his seat. "We're trying to appreciate a victory here."

"You don't think I want to be happy right now?"

"Well, tell me why the hell you don't trust Yumei. Then I'll let it slide."

"It's not that I don't trust her. It's just that I find it incredibly difficult to believe."

"It doesn't sound like that to me."

"All I'm saying is that I want proof. I'm not gonna be able to rest easy unless I see it with my own eyes."

"By definition, you're disbelieving her! What reason would she have to lie to you?"

"Why can't you just—"

"—Klaus," I clear my throat, speaking for the first time during the entire meeting. Something is off with him, but what that something is unnerves me, because I don't need doubt this late into the game. Either way, I want answers. "What the hell is all of this about?"

"It's not about anything," he protests.

"I asked a question, and I want a response straight. What's your hesitation for?"

He remains silent, but scoffs something under his breath.

"Nobody here will hold it against you if you say you're scared, if you're on edge because of everything that's been happening," I say, trying to bridge the gulf. "Namakemono has been breathing down our necks since day one. Shikijo is spearheading a covert investigation, and Yokubari tightened security patrols. We all know how it feels."