🪐 | CHAPTER 2

P R E V I O U S L Y 

"Your brother is alive." 

Kepler-168F, Oppidium (Sector 1)

Etta Parker

IF ELIJAH'S sudden appearance had anything to do with a conspiracy, Etta wouldn't find answers in Ivy's office. A leader such as Ivy would not risk losing her reign to carelessness.

"A bargain with Bellum? For Elijah? You must be willing to make a big trade," Etta mused, easing herself out of the chair. She lingered at the desk, tapping her fingertips against the wood.

"Yes," Ivy responded abruptly. Staring down at the unevenness of her nails, Ivy refused to make eye contact with Etta.

Interesting. Usually, Ivy's gaze would be more than a little intimidating - but today? Nothing of that sort. Something was certainly up. Etta was intent on finding out what.

"Well then," Etta said.

Making her way to the door, Etta's boots clicked against the floorboards. She was sure that Ivy was harbouring secrets against her, but didn't think she'd be able to pry them out of the older woman. Perhaps Henri would know, or even Griffin. Both wouldn't be nearly as hard to crack.

The door creaked as Etta pulled it towards her.

"Where do you think you're going?" Ivy's tone was enough to stop Etta in her tracks.

"Do I need to ask permission to leave?" Etta snapped in response. Immediately regretting her choice of words but too proud to apologise, Etta settled for cursing under her breath. She wouldn't gain anything by being rude to the leader of Oppidium. Ivy would just send Etta to Damnationium, for the third time.

"Don't test me, Etta. You leave when I tell you to. Close the door and sit down. That's an order."

Digging her fingers into the armrest, Etta's knuckles glowed a translucent pink. She maintained eye contact with Ivy as she lowered herself into the seat, finding amusement in how Ivy squirmed underneath her glare.

"You turned twenty-five last month. Correct?" Ivy spoke matter-of-factly.

Shuffling her files, Ivy placed Etta's on the top. The file itself worn, with pages falling out the sides - records of misdemeanours reported by Etta's superiors amongst medical bills and information regarding her situation on Earth.

"Yeah. You forgot," Etta said, somewhat bitterly. "I never got my supply cards."

"I didn't forget. You spend all your supply cards on cigarettes. I'm not financing your addiction," Ivy replied with some semblance of annoyance.

She picked at a strip of hanging skin on her thumb, tearing it with her teeth. Blood pooled in the wound. Ivy scrunched her nose, displeased.

"You don't get to choose how I spend my money," Etta folded her arms. Her biceps flexed underneath the fabric of her t-shirt, threatening to tear. She made a mental note to put in a request for a new shirt - for one that actually fit.