Chapter Thirty Seven

The spring semester started with the typical review of routines. Katherine's homeroom class was falling back in line better than Ms. Winter's homeroom and she was thankful she had her homeroom in the afternoon. The exasperation on Karla's face as they waited for parent pick up was enough to make her feel exhausted as well.

"These kids..." Karla grumbled as they made their way to the stairs once the last of their students were picked up. "They're going to drive me absolutely insane if this is how they will be until the end of the year."

"Why don't you give them a week to settle back in before you decide to give up on them." Katherine chuckled as they passed the library, glancing around for her favorite student. "No MJ today?" She asked Mrs. Andrews who was watching the three kids she had so far.

The library was open on all sides, just shelves dividing the expansive space between the admin and pre K halls from the two kinder halls. The librarian had broke the space up providing a section of tables for the older students to work at, a rug with a rocking chair for story time with the younger students, and comfortable seating options throughout for students to read while they waited for the rest of their class to finish finding books. One of the comfortable options was a couch not far from the stairs leading to the upper levels. This is where Andrews sat with the kids who weren't picked up on time. Every afternoon she pulled a table over to put the sign out sheet on and sat in a chair while the students congregated around the couch, some choosing to sit on it, other's chose the floor around it... MJ always sat at the table with Andrews.

"Her mother signed the paperwork allowing her to walk home." Andrews sighed.

"You almost sound sad." Karla said, furrowing her brow. Everyone knew Andrews had a soft spot for MJ, but it was also widely known that MJ's mother took forever to pick her up on most days, even after everything that happened the year before, which was frustrating to say the least.

"I'm just going to miss this time with her... that's all." Andrews replied.

Katherine and Andrews shared an sympathetic half smile as she and Karla started up the stairs. "Oh," Katherine turned back, leaning over the banister so she could see Andrews, "MJ hangs out in my room every morning if you want to visit with her. She's usually quietly reading, but I'm sure she'd be up for a game of boggle."

"I didn't know she still went to your room in the morning," Andrews smiled, "I will definitely visit."

"How do you think MJ will fair next year when she starts middle school?" Karla cautiously asked as they continued to their floor.

"I've been trying not to think about it... which means I've been constantly thinking about it." Katherine frowned and shrugged as she faced her friend. "I honestly worry about her without the support system she's built here. Part of me wants to go to her school and talk to her teachers on her behalf, give her half a chance, but I worry I'd be over stepping." She exhaled and tightened her lips while fighting back the tears that threatened. "MJ doesn't do well with new adults."

"So go up there and talk to them." Karla shrugged. "Who cares if you're overstepping, her mom won't meet with any of her teachers anyway. Give her a fighting chance to find her Mrs. Andrews and Ms. Morgans at her new school."

"Ok..." Katherine felt a bit of relief to have Karla back her on this, "I will."

Karla started for her room and then turned back, her brow knitted again. "Are you still Ms. Morgan or are you Mrs. Barba now?" Katherine groaned at the mere thought of changing her name again. "Did I touch on a sore topic?"

"No," Katherine chuckled, "I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning toward keeping Morgan. I don't want to offend Rafael though."

"Have you two not talked about this at all?"